We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cancun Airport a big mess today

Waupaca, WI
Destination Expert
for Gay Travel
Level Contributor
627 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
Cancun Airport a big mess today

Not sure wha'ts going on but today I arrived in cancun--one hour to get through immigration. It's so backed up, it was another 2 hours to get my bags. Pack your patience.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,191 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cancun Airport a big mess today

WOW, that is a long wait, maybe two many flights coming in close to one another.

:-)

des moines, iowa
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Cancun Airport a big mess today

It was a big mess on Saturday. Most flights (7/8) going out were delayed at least 45 minutes. Flight att. said that they were delayed leaving U.S. by the Cancun air traffic controllers. Continental had over 300 passengers to rebook on Saturday evening.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Cancun Airport a big mess today

hopefully you are at your resort or condo and relaxing now.

We have travelled in March before and arrive on a Saturday....3 hrs of waiting is nothing. Seriously.

Sorry you had to wait today. We leave Sunday, early flight so hope we get in and out quickly.

West Seneca, New...
Level Contributor
2,347 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cancun Airport a big mess today

Yeah, December was a nightmare too. Guess some days you eat the bear, some days the bear eats you. Patience is not a stong suit for me at all! Wife was ready to ditch me at the airport.

Hampshire
Level Contributor
148 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cancun Airport a big mess today

Our Thomas Cook flight left Cancun today. One of the passengers took ill and had to be assessed. He was deemed too sick to travel and was taken off the plane.

Naturally, the regulations state that his luggage couldn't travel without him so most of the luggage had to be taken off and then reloaded. This caused a back up, at least for all the planes due to leave our gate.

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
3,911 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cancun Airport a big mess today

President's Week is historically the busiest week of the year--right up there with New Year's. This year it coincided with with Valentine's Day weekend and the very beginnings of some springbreakers.

Waupaca, WI
Destination Expert
for Gay Travel
Level Contributor
627 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cancun Airport a big mess today

My story gets worse: I never got my bags. The airlines do not run the baggage operation--the airport does. I filed a claim but the guy never gave me a NWA lost luggage 10 digit tracking number. I was unaware i needed this. When I got to my hotel, i had no way of tracking my bags--on line or via phone. Tool free numbers in the US do not work in Mexico. Via Mexico's NWA number, I was transferred to lost luggage person in the US. She told me I needed to call international baggage and would no connect me. She gave me a number that is invalid in Mexico. Meanwhile, the airport did not know when my bags were coming and told me maybe tomorrow--who knows. Having gotten fed up, I rebooked tickets home for the morning. 1 hr later, my bags show up. Unbelievable that the NW bag agent in Cancun could not even tell me they arrived. What a mess. Why computerize your baggage system and not access it? I'm still going home because vacation is about rest and even though I am an experienced traveler, this has really rattled my cage. I can't enjoymself.

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
3,911 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cancun Airport a big mess today

A bad situation. Too bad you let it ruin your vacation.

Plymouth, Indiana
Level Contributor
253 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cancun Airport a big mess today

Does anyone know the best day of travel as far as getting through the airport quickly? We arrive and depart on a Sunday - 3/1-3/8. Our hotel shuttle has told me they can only wait 45 min. outside the airport. Since I'd read threads like this before, I asked here and was told the 45 min. window would be fine. I'd hate to be held up and then lose our shuttle.

Ohio
Level Contributor
832 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cancun Airport a big mess today

to bad you can't stick it out. After all that, it sounds like you just need a lounge chair and a drink!!