We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel with the best beach area?

Ohio
8 posts
Save Topic
Hotel with the best beach area?

Hi everyone,

I'm planning a trip to Cancun in July 2009 and I was wondering which hotels have the best beach areas available?

I've read a lot regarding erosion and a lot of hotels advertising a great beach area, but once you're there it's rocky and unusable...etc.

An alternative I suppose would be a hotel that's within walking distance of a great beach area??

Also, if you have any tips/advice for a first time Cancun trip, that would be great!

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!!!!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,261 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel with the best beach area?

On the long south-north beach, the best area is at the southern end right at the Club Med - beautiful beach, calm for swimming (given the shape of the land the waves break out a ways). For families you really can't beat the Club Med (in terms of beach, activities, food, social atmosphere...).

Much of the rest of that side has, like the Club Med, gorgeous colors but in contrast very strong surf most of the year and oftentimes very eroded beaches. Beside the Club Med is the older Westin resort and then the Sun Palace (an adults/couple resort) - their beaches are nice but the surf is often pretty rough. You should read reviews carefully before choosing another resort on that side, if having a good beach is high on your priorities.

At the other end of that beach coast - at the point of the 7 - is Dreams, with smaller but too pretty good beaches. The top of the 7 (West-East facing coast) has somewhat less pretty colors and much calmer seas than the north-south side (with the exception being the Club Med). In general, beaches there remain pretty good.

Otherwise, there are great beaches elsewhere in the Mayan Riviera or Isla Mujeres.

Ohio
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel with the best beach area?

Which Westin is the older one? I've heard the Westin Resort and Spa beach is still intact, so it was one of the hotels I was looking into...

I've been going through hundreds of reviews for each hotel trying to pick out the ones that say the beaches are rocky, red flagged 24/7, etc.

Thank you for your reply!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,261 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel with the best beach area?

I believe that it is the Westin Resort and Spa. If you go there, you should know that it is not all inclusive and is also fairly isolated - the regular public bus stops (turns around) just outside the Westin and then heads north. Not bad (not too expensive) if you use that bus alot, but could be expensive if you use taxis alot.

For couples the Sun Palace is reputed to be a better place; for families IMHO the Club Med is the best address in the Yucatan. Both are probably well more expensive, but you get what you pay for...

mjknows
Level Contributor
7 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel with the best beach area?

My family and I just got back from a week at the Westin Resort & Spa. I am a tough grader. We were more than pleased. It was fantastic and I'd return in a minute!

I walked twice on the beach for 1 hour - all the way up to the Hyatt, I believe. I can confirm that the Westin has the best beach between those two properties. There was definitely erosion at some properties between these two hotels - some bad, some not so bad. Westin's beach is HUGE and clean. They even rake off the little bit of seaweed that washes up each day.

There is one lifeguard on duty and there is drink/lunch service on the beach. The sun was wicked (and we are beach people) but there is plenty of shade to be had. There was moderate chair saving going on, but it is Feb. vaca for the kids, so...

As far as surf - it was "rough" for only 2-3 days of our visit. However, we are from Boston and used to Northeast beaches - Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket, Cape Cod, NH, Maine - and my boys, 9 and 12 handled it alone on both those rough days - and had a blast in the waves. You just need to be used to rough surf. Either that or walk down just a bit to the beach in front of Club Med, which as mentioned previously, has a barrier protecting it, and much calmer surf on rough days.

I'll review restaurants, retail and the hotel in more depth soon, but we had no compliants at all. Alternatively, the Frommer's guide is fantastic. Well written, verrrry detailed and SUPER accurate!

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel with the best beach area?

I just return from the Grand Melia and they have a pretty wide long stretch of beach. I am at the Fiesta Coral Beach right now and they have always had a nice wide private beach. The Riu Las Americana next door have no beach at this moment as the waves are crashing against the wall. The Ambiance Villas and Intercontinental both have the best stretch of beach by far.

Ohio
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel with the best beach area?

mj - if you have any pictures of the beach/hotel and you're willing - please email them to me. (emoore2187@aol.com)

Everyone else -- thank you for your replies.

All the posts regarding the beaches worry me. Cancun is known for it's beautiful beaches and water. Hopefully some restoration will take place before July of this year....

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
45 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel with the best beach area?

The best beach is at the InterContinental (Presidente InterContinental) I was there in August and there is no doubt. Extremely lovely and waters....

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
45 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel with the best beach area?

I meant to say calm waters..my bad lol

San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
2,247 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel with the best beach area?

I would second Club Med, best beach in Cancun and on the other side snorkling right off the property.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,191 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel with the best beach area?

Look at the Riu Caribe, been there several times, the beach is much wider and calmer than most I've seen. I go there just for the beach. The only thing people complain about (not me) is the sea grass, but of course it's expected and cleaned daily, and from my experience not a problem.

:-)