We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cancun or Nuevo Vallarta????

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Cancun or Nuevo Vallarta????

Me & my husband have never been to Mexico before. We are looking to go in May this year. I'm looking at the new Rui Palace Pacifico in Nuevo Vallarta or the Sun Palace in Cancun.

We would like to go into town, but for the most part we like to stay at the resort. We are looking for big pool with swim up bar, beach you can swim in, food & drinks are very important. Doesn't have to be adults only but not to many kids. Both resort's look really nice. Need advise please. Anyone who was been to these resorts or even why chose NV or Cancun.

Thanks!

chicago
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cancun or Nuevo Vallarta????

We are going back to Cancun after a ten year hiatus and were in Nuevo Vallarta several years ago. We stayed at the Villa del Palmar Flamingos. Place was gorgeous, had a great activities staff, and the beaches are the best in Puerto Vallarta. Would I go back? Probably not. We do not do all-inclusive and love to go into town every night for dinner. Town was a $50 cab ride (each way) away. There is a smaller town nearly (Bucerias) that we ate in quite often but there really isn't much there. So if you only want to go into town once and pretty much stay at the resort, Nuevo is great. Can't beat the weather in Puerto Vallarta. Beaches are bluer in Cancun but have heard there's a lot of erosion since I was there last.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,333 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cancun or Nuevo Vallarta????

I would go to Sun Palace in Cancun!! Did you look at the RIU Palace in Cancun it is in a perfect location from the night life!!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
2,820 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cancun or Nuevo Vallarta????

They both look gorgeous. I have only been to cancun but I am taking my kids to Nuevo vallarta in January only because the grand mayan looks amazing there. But Sun Palace is gorgeous, you really need to go there, and cancun is soooo awesome. I am addicted. I just got back January 25th and I leave with just my husband on April 17th, thats how addicting it is. I love it so much!!! Try cancun you will not regret it

Over the Rainbow
Level Contributor
518 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Cancun or Nuevo Vallarta????

Cancun has the picture-perfect, blue water that you see on post cards. You may want to check into the beach conditions at your specific hotel as the conditions may change. PV's beaches are nice but it is the Pacific and not the Caribbean.

PV is a real city that exisited before tourism. It has more Mexican flavor and charm. Cancun was developed for tourism. It is very Americanized. In which setting will you feel more comfortable?

Nuevo Vallarta is not Puerto Vallarta. NV is a developed area of mostly AI resorts. If you want easy acess to PV, stay in PV. PV is more of a "foodie" city. You would not have to do AI if you choose not to.

Cancun offers easy day trips to Mayan ruins, if that is of interest.

Both are great, but different. I think it's a matter of what is of most importance to you. If all things are equal to you in that respect, then I would choose based on the convenience and availability of flights and/or price.

Twin Cities, MN
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Cancun or Nuevo Vallarta????

I stayed in Nuevo Vallarta for a week last year in March. I really liked it! The water was not as pretty as Cancun, but it was really fun. I stayed at the Royal DeCameron Complex and they had so many things to do and quite a selection of buffets and ala carte restuarants. They had like 6 pools and one was an adults only pool, so that was nice. There was also a bunch of tours you could do like ziplining in the mountains. That was pretty sweet. There were also places to go out to eat in Nuevo Vallarta and Bucerias that were pretty neat!! Very authentic and awesome food!! It was quite a jaunt to PV though. We paid about $20 for a cab ride one way. I would recommend staying in PV if you want to go out to a fancier dinner in the evening or experience the night life.

Cancun is a lot more Americanized, has a lot better night life, and the water is just an amazing shade of aqua!! I have heard really good things about Sun Palace on this Forum. You should read some of the strings. It sounds amazing!!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,464 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cancun or Nuevo Vallarta????

We've been to both. Cancun was our first experience in Mexico, and we loved it. After 2 trips there, we thought we'd try something different, and stayed at Grand Velas in Nuevo Vallarta. The sunsets in NV were amazing, and we watched every one while we were there. The mountains are also beautiful, and very different than the landscape in Cancun.

However, we REALLY missed the spectacular turquoise water and soft sand of Cancun. The sand in NV is more like the sand here at the Jersey Shore...more coarse and darker. The water there was also COLD in March when we went~I don't know if it would be warmer in May.

We also really missed the warmth and friendliness of the Mayan people on the Yucatan. In NV, the service was good, but we never felt that same connection there that we do in Cancun.

I think that we'll go back to NV some day, but our first love is Cancun. And Sun Palace is our favorite so far!

Good luck!

AppleRepresentative
13 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cancun or Nuevo Vallarta????

The RIU Palace Pacifico and Sun Palace are both great all-inclusive luxury resorts. The RIU Palace Pacifico, which opened in late 2008, is located in Puerto Vallarta. Surrounded by the Sierra Madre Mountains and the Pacific Ocean, Puerto Vallarta provides a blend of cosmopolitan culture, old world colonial charm and natural sites. Puerto Vallarta's sunny weather is ideal, with average temperatures in the mid-eighties.

Sun Palace is an adults-only resort located in Cancun. Surrounded on three sides by water it has some of the world's best beaches. Cancun is situated in subtropical jungle, so it is perfect for exploration and adventure. It also boasts pristine reefs right off the coastline for snorkeling and diving.

8. Re: Cancun or Nuevo Vallarta????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2009, 11:19