We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Typical costs/options for food if not at AI

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ohio
Level Contributor
108 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Typical costs/options for food if not at AI

I'm trying to choose between and AI or a less expensive option for the family in Cancun. I don't want to compare apples to oranges, so I need to figure how much we would spend on food if we were not at an AI. And, also, how convenient it would be to find meals for a family within walking distance. Thanks for any help!

Boston
Level Contributor
33 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Typical costs/options for food if not at AI

Hi,

Given that Cancun is a tourist destination and it lives off of that, the cost of eating out is roughly similar to that of US. So, calculate the average sum that you will spend in the US and that should be rough approximation. Although, I find that some places are a bit pricier. Just to give you example, ice cream is roughly 5$ for a small cup (1 scoop I think) in the downtown, but open bar is $15:)

I would go with AI to avoid any headaches,and plus it is right there when you need it.. but then again, you might like diversity in your food...

duluth,mn
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Typical costs/options for food if not at AI

my wife and i tried non a.i this year and spent about 100 per day.this was for having a small breakfast and lunch in our room and going out for a nice dinner.this included a lot of drinks.overall it cost about the same,but we enjoyed it.with kids i would recomend an a.i.

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
1,009 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Typical costs/options for food if not at AI

braidybunch, I agree that making the choice is hard. We have done both ways many times. I like both choices, we still end up eating out some even if we are at an AI. We also eat at the resort some even if we are not AI. Breakfast is usally easier at the resort or at least more convenient. It can be a little pricey like 18.00 - 20.00 for buffet. Then lunch by the pool is always fun, we usually order burgers either way. Priced aroung 15.00 for burger and fries. Mixed drinks are about 8.00 or so. I hope this helps alittle. Linda

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
426 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Typical costs/options for food if not at AI

If you're pricing it out, a non-AI will generally be cheaper than an AI. There is a price premium built in for the convenience of being AI.

We aren't big drinkers and don't eat "fancy" meat, so potentially we could save a lot of money by going the non-AI route. But we love AI because it feels more like a vacation when you can eat and drink as much as you want without having to worry about a bill.

For example, we were considering Aqua Cancun until a reviewer mentioned their drinks were $13 and beers were $7. Knowing me, I'd be cheap and would be hesitant to order those drinks. With an AI, the money spent is "out of sight, out of mind" and you can truly enjoy the vacation.

Ohio
Level Contributor
108 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Typical costs/options for food if not at AI

Great advice everyone! I really appreciate the input. Overall I think the AI will serve us better, but I was not shocked by the prices you mentioned, so I could see going either way. It's always good to seek advice from those who have experienced it! Thanks!

Muncie
Level Contributor
281 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Typical costs/options for food if not at AI

It all depends on how much you like to eat and Drink. With my wife, AI is a huge loss. Typical AI charges are around 80 to 100$ per person per day. Although some allow kids to eat for free. We are both diet conscious, and don't ever eat as much as you do at an AI. I am a big drinker, but my wife doesn't hardly drink. We stayed at the royal sands for 14 days, and brought 2000 dollars spending money and came home with almost 900. And I didn't worry about what we spent. I also didn't have a bad meal anywhere we ate out. That includes taxi, bus, souvenirs etc. Drinks at happy hours at the sands were 5$ for 2 mixed drinks, or 3 for 2 beers. Keep in mind the Peso is almost 15 to 1 dollar, so as long as you pay with pesos, you can save even more this year. The AI's are about the same cost as years past. And a cheeeburger meal at the sands was 99 pesos or about 7 dollars. I would look into the royals, because you can also save some on the kids by eating in the room for some meals. Also at an Non AI you can buy drinks at walmart and save a ton.

IMHO!

7. Re: Typical costs/options for food if not at AI

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2009, 21:20