We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cancun Incidents of Violence

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
336 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cancun Incidents of Violence

Like many people right now, the group I am scheduled to travel with to Cancun on April 5th, are trying to determine if it is in fact safe to come to Cancun. I would like to ask a few questions that I think are legitimate and needed for the many other people who are in the same boat.

1) Can somebody please post a list of incidents that have occurred within a 50 mile radius of Cancun in the past year??

2) We have been coming to Cancun for almost a decade....... If we do decide to keep our trip, how will our travel experience and procedures change at this time??

I am realistic enough to know where the majority of these problems are....... and smart enough not to confuse Tijuana and Cancun as the same location with the same problems because they are both in the same Country......... but we don't go on vacation to spend 1 second scared or even worried. Too many great places in the world to visit! I look forward to the facts. Thanks guys!

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
3,884 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cancun Incidents of Violence

Jeez!!

Please reads the thousands of posts that are already here about the situation FIRST.

Second: just who here do you think would have "... a list of incidents that have occurred within a 50 mile radius of Cancun in the past year??"

Do you have of list of every "incident" (whatever that means) that has occurred within a 50-mile radius of Columbus within the last year?

Please 1)read the other posts here--especially the one just posted by Dangers with what the Mexican Tourism Board is saying in response to the fear mongering, 2) stop watching Fox News and 3)either come down here and have a good time or go to one of the many other "...great places in the world to visit," if you are going to be "scared and worried.," but 4)don't expect someone here to do your research or decision-making for you.

Weather for today: sunny and warm on the beaches.

Chances of getting killed here: much lower than in Columbus, Ohio. (or most other places in the world.)

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
426 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cancun Incidents of Violence

Sorry, can't help you..I only have a list of incidents that have occurred within a 45 mile radius of Cancun :)

Seriously though...read the forum and look at all the previous posts.

Sioux City
Level Contributor
20 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cancun Incidents of Violence

Jimcancun...I agree. Felt just as safe in Cancun as I did in Fort Lauderdale last summer.

A body was found in my area of Iowa this week...should I move?

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,856 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cancun Incidents of Violence

Oh, good lord, violence in Iowa? Where next? Two youth were shot in a suburb near me last night outside Minneapolis. Where else can I move? I thought I was safe living in Minnesota! All sarcasm intended. Again, if you look for trouble, you'll usually find it.

Cheryl

Sioux City
Level Contributor
20 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cancun Incidents of Violence

Insert sarcasm...I had to move from Minnesota to Iowa due to violence...where now, the Dakota's?

Maryland
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cancun Incidents of Violence

While I can understand that you wouldn't want to take unnecessary risks, I agree with the general sentiments of the other posts - maybe you would be happier just staying home. But then again a plane may just land on your house..........

iowa
Level Contributor
827 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cancun Incidents of Violence

Yea there has been corn stock beatings here in iowa lately....I am glad this nonsense is being made a joke out of now....sorry hoops but like stated above...if you look for trouble it will find you, im staying away from the corn fields and closer to the beans now

vancouver
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cancun Incidents of Violence

we just got back last night and we felt safe the whole time we were there. we had no problems even walking back late at night from the clubs the only time i felt a little unsafe was crossing the street!

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
336 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Cancun Incidents of Violence

Wow.... I didnt expect to get blasted for this post! Looking back over it I can see a little bit why...... I didn't word it as well as I should have (I was in a hurry!, and it appears I am on the other side of the fence from those who want tourism to come to cancun. Let me re-word my post.........

I am trying to sell 2 other ladies and my buddy on STILL COMING to Cancun next month even though the media in America is sensationalizing stories of drug related violence in Mexico. I AM NOT WORRIED for our health or safety but I don't want anyone on Vacation with us to be overly scared. Please help me by giving me some easy facts to help me convince the others in my group that we can still come to CANCUN and be safe!! Is that better guys???? I feel about 10 pounds lighter (On my back end) after reading your responses to my post!! Sorrrrrrrrrrrrrry :)

In a Little Cafe...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
10,803 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cancun Incidents of Violence

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150807-i8-k258716…