We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rumors about Cancun???!... HELP plzzz

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
emtgirl749
2 posts
Save Topic
Rumors about Cancun???!... HELP plzzz

hello,

My girlfriend and i are headed to cancun the first week of april. my uncle came over the other night and was talking about females being abducted by mexicans and if they didnthave sex with them, they get killed?!...

does anyone know how true this is?

Collingwood, Canada
Level Contributor
518 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rumors about Cancun???!... HELP plzzz

Oh gosh!

I think you will be JUST FINE if you don't get stupid drunk and start doing dumb things like going anywhere alone or with a stranger. Just play it safe.

I think this could happen if you were doing all the wrong things...

I was in CALIFORNIA and this illegal Mexican man ( he told me he was in the USA illegally) came onto me strong. I was watching my husband Surf and told him so. He kept coming onto me, asking me for sexual favours even though I told him to get lost. IT WAS SHOCKED! I have never had someone do that to me, and so pushy about it. He made me very nervous. However, I was around others , I was sober and made the right decision to tell him where to go and made sure I had back-up with me.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rumors about Cancun???!... HELP plzzz

I would stay away. So far this year alone, there have already been 42 murders, 101 rapes, and 1865 robberies.

www.lapdonline.org/assets/pdf/cityprof.pdf

Oops, that's in Los Angeles, which is already on your travel map.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,460 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rumors about Cancun???!... HELP plzzz

I think your uncle needs to refine his commentary on Cancun. His comments are without any basis and are doing nothing but to scare you off from your travels. You will be fine as long as you observe the same rules which you observe at home.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
36 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rumors about Cancun???!... HELP plzzz

how many times has your uncle been to cancun in the last 6 months? It seems to me the people who spend the least amount of time traveling abroad are the people with the best rumors.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,846 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rumors about Cancun???!... HELP plzzz

I've gotta admit...that rumor does take the cake. Are you sure he wasn't pulling your leg? He couldn't really believe that, could he?

Read the US State Dept. website for yourself. It openly states that the increased crime is a problem on the borders of the US and Mexico - about 1,400 miles from Cancun.

Cheryl

Canada
Level Contributor
84 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rumors about Cancun???!... HELP plzzz

…state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/spring_break_mex…

Be very, very careful!

emtgirl749
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Rumors about Cancun???!... HELP plzzz

i went to cancun last aug with a family we stayed at dreams and were fine! we did travel to the water park to swim with the dolphins, rented a boat & went to the flea market and were fine..maybe i felt more safe bc i was with my friend who was a male and my uncle.

we havent booked yet, we are in the next couple of days bc my friend wanted to stay at the "cheapest" hotel..which i think is what makes me a bit scared...i rather pay more and know im staying at a great resort!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
426 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rumors about Cancun???!... HELP plzzz

Seems like every family has at least one crazy uncle :)

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rumors about Cancun???!... HELP plzzz

Don't ever come or return to the USA. There's news story everyday about female teachers abducting male teenager students. Please switch places with me.

Montana
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Rumors about Cancun???!... HELP plzzz

I think your Uncle was wise to care about and warn you. Just watch out for each other and dont drink too much. watch that nobody slips anything in your drink and remember the Natlalie Hollaway thing in Aruba.