We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TA members I need your help picking a new place to go...

Virginia Beach, VA
Level Contributor
181 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
TA members I need your help picking a new place to go...

Ok so I posted awhile back that I wanted to go to Cancun. Studied TA for weeks. Read every review, searched through forums. Finally picked Sun Palace because it has EVERYTHING I could want included.

So now the problem. Hubby is in the military. His command keeps his passport and will not release it to him for travel until he shows his travel itenerary. BUT they will not allow him to travel to any destination where the government has issued a travel warning. Even though the warning is not specifically for Cancun, they won't let him go to Mexico now. Period.

So the things I loved about Sun Palace were the all inclusiveness, tours included, clear blue water, better food and alcoholic beverages, and a reasonable price.

So my question is (sorry I know it took awhile for me to get to the point) where is another place, equal in quality, standards, and all inclusiveness, somewhere else in the world that doesn't have a darn travel advisory?

I have been to Jamaica, and I would like to stay somewhere in the Caribbean. I want a hot sun and blue water and stuff to do and decent food/drink. For those of you who have travelled a bit, PLEASE HELP!!!!

Thanks in advance, sorry I know this was long!

Redwood City...
Level Contributor
340 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: TA members I need your help picking a new place to go...

If Mexico is out Palace does have a new resort at Punta Cana, Dominican Republic.

I seriously doubt that Cancun itself has a higher travel advisory than any where else in the Carribean.

Ask him where he is allowed to go and take it from there.

Virginia Beach, VA
Level Contributor
181 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TA members I need your help picking a new place to go...

Yeah but I think because the US government has specifically issued a travel advisory thingy for Mexico that they won't allow him to go to Mexico. If they hadn't put out that advisory we could go. Maybe they will cancel the advisory and I won't have to re-plan my whole darn trip... but I don't see that happening.

Last year I had to book our trip to Jamaica 17 days before we were planning to go there because the military didn't want to approve his time off. Gotta love his job! Ugghhh!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,351 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TA members I need your help picking a new place to go...

I would do some research on Punta Cana!!! We stayed at the Iberostar properties in February. They have there resorts (Bavaro, Dominicana and Punta Cana). We stayed the Bavaro and it was the best. The Dominicana and Punta Cana are together but you can use the amenities at the Bavaro but Bavaro guests can use anything in the entire property. Other resort suggestions in Punta Cana are Barcelo Premium and Ocean Blue. Good Luck!!!

LI NY
Level Contributor
324 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TA members I need your help picking a new place to go...

Why not try Aruba its one of our favorites.

Beautiful beaches and plenty of hotels.

All price ranges.

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
3,310 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TA members I need your help picking a new place to go...

Here is somewhere I've been looking at:

http://www.stjamesclubantigua.com

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
419 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TA members I need your help picking a new place to go...

The Moon Palace in Punta Cana is now open, but not 100%. My husband and I were going to go here in December of this year, but after reading many posts about it on the Dominican forum, we have decided not to go there this year. Sounds like it will be fantastic when everything is completely up and running, but the resort isn't there yet. Lots of posts about restaurants not being open, amenities not available, issues with things not working properly etc. etc. etc.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,249 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: TA members I need your help picking a new place to go...

I've heard and read very good things about the Anse Chastanet in St. Lucia - smaller and more intimate by far than the Sun Palace, probably better in terms of food and certainly views...

CENTRAL WI
Level Contributor
775 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: TA members I need your help picking a new place to go...

i would say to make it EASY on youself

TRY puerto rico//// its almost a usa state

do research , theres alot of nice resorts here

Virginia Beach, VA
Level Contributor
181 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: TA members I need your help picking a new place to go...

I agree that the Moon Palace in Punta Cana looks amazing, but I think I would want to wait until it was complete before spending $4,000 to stay there. If I want construction I can have that at home. =)

Is there another resort in Punta cana that offers as much as Moon Palace eventually will as far as inclusions and restaurants, etc?

Martinsburg, West...
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: TA members I need your help picking a new place to go...

If you check the government web sites I think almost anywhere you go has some type of a warning. Unfortunate it is. We are traveling to Ireland this year and there are warnings there as well.