We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tulum or Chichen Itza

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
6 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Tulum or Chichen Itza

Hi all, first time posting. My DH and I are leaving for Cancun on Wednesday for our first trip to Cancun. If you were to pick one of the tours which would it be...Tulum or Chichen Itza? I would like to do the less touristy thing and the more "fun" thing. Not into shopping that much, more into seeing the sights, swimming, etc.

Thanks!

dallas
Level Contributor
299 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tulum or Chichen Itza

Hi Georgia: having been to both, I think they're both equally "touristy," but both very, very good to visit. Tulum is considerably closer, has the advantage of being right on the coast, great views of the water, nice beach at the bottom. HOWEVER, if it's the sites you're interested in, Chichen Itza is several leagues better than Tulum, many more restored sites, much more spectacular. Unfortunately, you can't climb the Pyramid any more (unless they've changed policies the last week or so), but they other places are fascinating. It takes about two hours longer to get there, but the tours usually include a stop at some interesting spot along the way. Good luck, and let us know what you do.

Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tulum or Chichen Itza

check out coba much closer and you can climb the pyramid it was awesome

USA
Level Contributor
7,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tulum or Chichen Itza

Here is a reply I have made before but is still good:

Tulum is the nearest to you but the smallest of the three main ruin sites (Tulum, Coba, and Chichen Itza). Great beach but only a limited exposure to Mayan ruins due to its size and very little shade. Coba is the next nearest (slightly closer than CI), and in our opinion, the best of the three. Coba is the oldest of the three sites and is almost pure Mayan with very little Toltec influence. It is more of a jungle setting with a fair amount of walking or you can rent a Pedi cab with a driver to peddle you around. You can still climb the main pyramid and this is a plus for us. Also, less crowded than Chichen Itza. Chichen Itza is one of the new 7 wonders of the world (very interesting how this was arrived at) but the farthest from where you are staying and the most commercialized. The ruins at Chichen Itza are combined Mayan and Toltec and excavated more than Coba. However, Chichen Itza can be very crowded and you have a lot of vendors/family’s selling stuff along many of the trails/paths between buildings. Again, our favorite of the three is Coba.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
45 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tulum or Chichen Itza

I have been to both also and Tulum is my favorite!

San Jose, CA
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tulum or Chichen Itza

I'm still in Cancun right now and just got back from Chichen Itza today. Both are as beautiful. Personally my favorite was Tulum. However, if I did not have time to go to both, then I would pick Chichen just because its one of the 7 Wonders of the World.

Remember to bring a hat, sunglasses, and some snacks on the trip. Boy it gets really hot around noon time! The tour bus didn't take us to lunch till 3pm. I was starving.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
45,016 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tulum or Chichen Itza

Another vote for Coba here. To me, Chichen is way over hyped with the dubious Seven Wonders designation. Biggest problem for me is the huge number of vendors now lining every walkway and following you everywhere you go. Saw another complaint on another forum today referring to Chichen as the largest yard sale he had ever seen.

dallas
Level Contributor
299 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tulum or Chichen Itza

I agree that the vendors are there, but surely grownups can deal with them. Like walking through the Cancun airport, if you think you have to stop and chat with anyone who approaches you, you're doomed! But what you see at Chichen is well worth the terribly painful, excruciatingly awful, hideously inconvenient burden of having to say "No thank you" a few times to some folks trying to make a living. Well-heeled tourists ought to be able to deal with that, right?

Texas
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tulum or Chichen Itza

All the above posters are spot on..If you have the budget you can rent a Cessna and bring you to Chichen Itza long before the tour buses and heat arrive..If not I personally like Tulum because of the Ocean setting...

Phoenix
Level Contributor
251 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tulum or Chichen Itza

We just returned a few days ago and had a great tour of Coba - so I can highly recommend it but have not been to the other spots. We got there early (left our hotel at 6:30 am due to Club Med's crazy time change on the resort) but it was worth it since we got there and there were very few people around. We rented bikes and rode through the jungle to the various ruins, and you can still climb a big pyramid there which is exhilarating and exhausting and has a great jungle view at the top. We were happy we had a great tour guide too, otherwise we wouldn't have known what we were looking at. It's also nice and shaded throughout so the heat wasn't awful. Think about Coba...

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Tulum or Chichen Itza

would it be possible to do both Coba and Chichen Itza in one day? Coba sounds amazing! I also would like to check out at least one cenote, too.