We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bring cigarettes or buy in Cancun?

satisfaction09
3 posts
Save Topic
Bring cigarettes or buy in Cancun?

Hello!

We are traveling to cancun and were wondering if we should bring our own cigs (about $5 or so by us for a pack of marlboro) or if we can get in cheaper down there? And if we are able to where is a good place to buy them? Thanks

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
860 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bring cigarettes or buy in Cancun?

1/2 the price in Cancun then what your paying now. Airport even cheaper.

everett wa
Level Contributor
808 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bring cigarettes or buy in Cancun?

Very cheap in Cancun- Think I saw them for under 3 bucks a pack for Malboros. Not sure how much your allowed to bring back but I saw people buying lots of cartons.

satisfaction09
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bring cigarettes or buy in Cancun?

okay great thanks! so we can just buy them right at the airport then?

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
860 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bring cigarettes or buy in Cancun?

There is a shop in airport right after you go through customs/immigrations. $ 20 or $25 a carton. cheaper then in the hotel zone.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bring cigarettes or buy in Cancun?

You can buy everywhere. I paid $3.00 for a pack of Davidoff's which sell for $7 in Michigan. A carton at the dudty free was $26

Halifax
Level Contributor
194 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bring cigarettes or buy in Cancun?

wow cigarettes are cheap in the US (and Mexico!)

Here in Canada they run 10$ a pack lol

Arkansas
Level Contributor
327 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bring cigarettes or buy in Cancun?

keep in mind that for some reason they seem a lot stronger in Mexico. Does anyone know why that is

Mexico
Level Contributor
2,121 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Bring cigarettes or buy in Cancun?

Walmart down town. About $2.50 perhaps less now with exchange.

columbus ohio
Level Contributor
5,458 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bring cigarettes or buy in Cancun?

cigarettes purchased outside of the US are produced and packaged for the country where they are sold. They are much stronger in Mexico, also in Europe. The only ones I have had in Mexico which tasted the same as in the US are Benson and Hedges light

Florida
Level Contributor
6,581 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Bring cigarettes or buy in Cancun?

the reason why it tastes stronger(different) is these are simply not USA cigarettes nor are they made the same or by the same manufacturer. Marlboro for example is licensed by Philip Morris and not manufactured by PM. So they are using the name with a total different formula.

US cigarettes are known as the finest in the world and these ones in Mexico are not same quality.

even ones in airport for duty free are not. Look on package and you will see something to the affect

manufactured by vs manufactured under the authority of