We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

omg!

Chicago
Level Contributor
54 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
omg!

I'm so sick of people telling me not to go on vacation in Mexico! My neighbors/friends/people from work are all telling me that I shouldn't be going to Cancun, and they are even more upset that I am bringing my children. SHUT UP ALREADY!!!

Anyone else having this issue?

macomb mi
Level Contributor
150 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: omg!

yes. i spose i'll vacation in the hole ill call home in detroit. i live in the burbs but detroit's still a hole.

Boardman, Ohio
Level Contributor
123 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: omg!

gozzerino,

Yes we are leaving in 4 days and my in-laws (who will be in charge of my teenagers) are convinced we're not coming back. It doesn't matter about all the info I have or the explanation of the geography of Mexico and the State Department advisories. The fact the Puerto Vallarta is about El Paso, Texas and Cancun is closer to Tallahasee, Forida.

I think the only thing that appeases them is my life insurance policy! :)

Dieppe, Canada
Level Contributor
108 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: omg!

People need to chill out....

GO, HAVE A GREAT VACATION!....just returned for the 6th time from Mexico and had a blast as always...weather was super!

Endicott, New York
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: omg!

Your not alone I am getting the same flack. I have explained to people I dont know how many times now I just ignore them until they shut up. They will eat their words when we bring back beautiful pictures and stories HA! lol

Boardman, Ohio
Level Contributor
123 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: omg!

I have resorted to telling people that I understand the military with machine guns are going to take us from the airport and "feed us" to the drug lords. That usually shuts them up. Maybe because they have not way to respond?

Whittier, California
Level Contributor
79 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: omg!

You'll be fine in cancun, the only major coastal resort in mexico I hear you should have any concerns about is acapulco, but even then I don't know that for a fact. A huge majority of the problems your hearing about on the news is on the border towns. I took my kid to cancun several years back and he loved it, tons of stuff to do. Like the smart & experienced travler says, have some common sense and you have no worries!

TX1
Southlake, Texas
Level Contributor
4,708 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: omg!

My child's teacher was concerned about us taking her to PVR for spring break.

Chicago
Level Contributor
54 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: omg!

I've been telling people the same things - it's the border towns, etc. My stupid neighbor was telling me about some General (or ex-police officer or something) that was be-headed near Cancun. I told her, "I'm not in the military; I'm not a police officer; I'm not a drug dealer; I will not be purchasing drugs in Mexico..."

Give me a break! Thanks for letting me vent...

CT
Level Contributor
444 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: omg!

How do you think I feel. I'm traveling alone and I think my parents are having a controlled coronary. 40 yrs old and I had to promise them I would call once a day.

Halesowen, United...
Level Contributor
989 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: omg!

i posted this thread on 1st march 2009 sick of reading is it safe to travel it got a mixed reveiw but 25 days later people are still asking the same question yes it is safe to travel i will be their on 15 may 2009 and the 16 april 2010 have a great holiday