We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Obama in Cancun

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Obama in Cancun

I just googled Obama in Cancuun and have read that he will be there the 16th and 17th of April. I fly out on the 17th! It mentioned that the airport will shut down during his arrival and departure. I am suppose to fly out at 2:50pm, I am wondering if I will need to see about booking an extra night? I am staying at the Cancun Palace and they may be booked? Anyone else in this situation?

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
3,929 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Obama in Cancun

There will be additional security and traffic for those days but I don't see any reason to change any plans--unless you are just looking for an excuse to stay and extra night, then go for it! Tell it to the boss and maybe he/she will buy it. I personally plan on being out of town for those days! Heading south for a few days of R & R and to avoid the traffic.

Syracuse NY
Level Contributor
159 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Obama in Cancun

Yes, we fly out of Cancun on the 17th at 2:20. Also wondering if we should change dates. Would love to know when he is scheduled to depart. UGGH!!

Redwood City...
Level Contributor
340 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Obama in Cancun

We will be there that week too, flying home to San Francisco that very day.

As Mexico President Calderon and US President Obama are meeting in Cancun I hope this puts all the safety questions to rest!

I hope we get to see Air Force One, that will make my day!

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Obama in Cancun

I will be bringing my lap-top and will check flights before we leave for the airport. I'd rather be delayed at the swim-up bar than the airport:) I will be checking with Mexicana Airlines before we leave out of Ohare on the 10th.

I agree with Rick, pictures of Airforce One to show my students would be cool!!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Obama in Cancun

I just realized, I should just be happy this is not happening on our arrival day!! We are already there, so that is what is important! Thirteen more days to go as I am watching about a winter storm warning!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,247 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Obama in Cancun

Was what you read from a newspaper or news source? I keep watching for it but havent seen any recent details in the press. I dont doubt it just would like to read about the meeting in some media source.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Obama in Cancun

cancunmx.com/vacation/…77714

I read about it on this forum. You are correct, I don't think this has been offically announced? I just found out about it today. So maybe we need some offical confirmation.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,247 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Obama in Cancun

Really, I dont know either. But all I keep reading in the newspapers is that Presidents Calderon and Obama will meet on those dates in Mexico with no mention of the city.

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
3,929 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Obama in Cancun

My post was from March 22: tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1-i9659-k264684…

It references this article: http://www.sipse.com/nota.php?id=30237

Here is Noticaribe: noticaribe.com.mx/cancun/2009/03/cancun_seri…

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
305 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Obama in Cancun

Will excursions and the buses be affected on these days?