We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rentals in Cancun

Isla de Margarita
Level Contributor
1,185 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
car rentals in Cancun

Anybody have any suggestions for a good car rental company or ones to stay away from.

Will be going to Akumal for a wedding next month and am traveling alone but will need transportation and it seems a rental car is the way to go altho there is a plethora of choices.

WNY, NJ
Level Contributor
18 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car rentals in Cancun

The easiest is to get the rental car right at the airport, that is if you will be driving straight to Akumal upon arrival.. Make sure you take all the insurance and inspect your vehicle before you drive out of the lot... Also, keep below the speed limit which is in KM, and hide your money somewhere else than in your wallet. Keep only a few pesos no more than 300 Mexican pesos in the event you get stopped by a police car. The police are very corrupt and they like to stop tourist and they know you are one given the car you drive and the sticker of the company on your bumper.

Read some of the threads about this subject and get informed before you decide to drive. Other than that is a great experience.

Enjoy your travels.

Isla de Margarita
Level Contributor
1,185 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car rentals in Cancun

I will be a tourist but being from Venezuela we deal with corrupt officials on a daily basis so its not an issue as much as it would be for a non-spanish speaking tourist.

I was really looking for suggestions on a good car company and not the aftermath of renting a vehicle.

On that note-does anyone have recommendations of one company over another or ones to avoid.

Thanks in advance.

Mexico
Level Contributor
2,121 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: car rentals in Cancun

I rent cars regularly for work. I have always had good experiences with Executive. They normally give you the first evening free. Also Europa have been fine as well.

Avoid Hertz!

They ripped me off twice over the holidays with excessive over charging, but they new due to the limited availability that I had no choice but to pay. I should mention that this was their Merida office.

I have also found that I get better rates dealing direct with each office. As an example the 01-800 for Executive wanted to charge me $100 USD a day, when I called the Executive office direct the next day and I was able to get it for $65. Same car, same insurance coverage. Now I just mention my name and when they look it up I get a no dicker price.

Barrie
Level Contributor
724 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car rentals in Cancun

Do not rent at the airport. Rent in-town. Better cars, no airport concession fees.

Hertz and Avis include Liability insurance, compulsory in Mexico. Others will charge $10 to $11 per day.

Stay away from Europcar and Advantage in Cancun. Search them on Tripadvisor and you will see why.

When picking up car, in addition to looking for dents and scratches, look under car, check windshield from inside and make sure that spare tire is there and in good shape. Windshield and spare not covered by any insurance.

5. Re: car rentals in Cancun

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2009, 04:18