We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

brits in cancun

pitro1984
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Topic
brits in cancun

hi i will be in cancun in july and was wondering what the best currency is to take to cancun, either peso or us dollar?

also like most brits i am not used to tipping all the time so what do you recomend?

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: brits in cancun

Hi Mate,

As a brit who actually lives here in Cancun, I would recommend that you bring US Dollars with you, so that paying your entry fees and tours etc, you will not be getting ripped off on exchange rates.

All Night Clubs, Bars, Disco's and Tours are priced in Dollars. You should bring a small amount of pesos with you though to pay for Bus rides, which cost around 7 pesos per person, and are a 24 hour service... cheaper than a taxi at around $12.00 USD each way.

Do a search on Google for Brits in Cancun and drop me a line through my website, I have a page on the website giving advise for Brits coming to Cancun on holiday and I'll happily answer any other questions that you may have.

Cheers

Al

BritsinCancun.com

pitro1984
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: brits in cancun

thanks al will look it up now

portsmouth england
Level Contributor
699 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: brits in cancun

Thanks for this I was wondering the same thing

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
273 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: brits in cancun

I was under the impression that prices would be in Peso and US$?

Is this not right?

Thanks

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: brits in cancun

Prices are in both currencies, however, if it says $50.00 USD per person it will be $50.00 USD per person no matter what day it is!!

The Exchange Rate between the USD & Peso changes daily, and you can guarantee that the rate is set higher than any exchange house or bank will pay, so you in effect pay more than you should if you pay in Pesos.

At the end of the day, both currencies are accepted, money is money, and you'll have a good time irrestective of what currency you bring with you.

A word of advise though if you are planning to bring GBP cash with you... Don't !! The Exchange rates are terrible, you get a better exchange rate using your ATM card.

Best exchange rates at the moment between USD & Pesos is in Santander Bank, remember to bring your Passport with you to exchange money, if you think it's really necessary.

TX1
Southlake, Texas
Level Contributor
4,708 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: brits in cancun

Also - keep in mind, hopefully you will be using pesos - but if you do choose US dollars you will receive your change back in pesos.

South California
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: brits in cancun

and for tipping, US or Peso???? thanks

TX1
Southlake, Texas
Level Contributor
4,708 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: brits in cancun

Some people will say it doesn't matter - but you are in Mexico - so use their currency - the peso -

Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
104 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: brits in cancun

Hi Manxie you have helped me decide to take dollars! last time I went in 2007 I took pesos and the pound was a lot stronger then but the $50 example you gave was really good so thanks

England
Level Contributor
1,469 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: brits in cancun

Why use the Dollar when the Peso is the national currency.

Would you be happy receiving a different currency at home ........... I think not.