We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Im sooooooo CoNfuSeD

DeKalb, Illinois
Level Contributor
181 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Im sooooooo CoNfuSeD

This will be our first trip to Cancun and was lookin at the Westin Resort and Spa over Thanksgiving break but after reading so many negative reviews im thinkin maybe not.

Me/hubby and 2 teen girls would like a NICE beach, CLEAN room with ovean view and balcony, AI not that important. Great pools also! We are not lookin for a party scene. More of a resort geared toward families.

I could really use some advice---there are so mnay hotels to choose from..

Also --hows the weather at the end of November?

thanx

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,868 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Im sooooooo CoNfuSeD

Actually the weather end of November is fabulous. It's post hurricane season and still warm.

We've never stayed at the Westin but did have breakfast there. We weren't impressed. Look at the Omni or Hilton instead. The Omni does offer all inclusive if you are interested. Both are beautiful resorts with good amenities, quiet location yet a short bus ride from party central and shopping. Both resorts are family oriented.

Keep this up top and others will offer their suggestions.

Cheryl

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,868 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Im sooooooo CoNfuSeD

Thinking about it, though, you might consider one of the Royal Resorts. They are all two bedroom, two bathroom villas with full kitchens, living room, dining room and large verandas that sleep 6 adults. This type of configuration would give your teens a separate bedroom and bathroom without having to worry about adjoining rooms. You can check them out on RoyalResorts.com and rent through the resort directly or through private owners on sites such as omcancun.com, tug2.net, mytimesharevacations.com, redweek.com, royalrentalsbyearl.com, to name a few.

Other options like this are Crown Paradise has "family" rooms and Ambiance Villas has multiple bedroom villas, as do the Hilton and Omni.

Just thinking.....

Cheryl

DeKalb, Illinois
Level Contributor
181 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Im sooooooo CoNfuSeD

thanx, i will check out those suggestions

Florida
Level Contributor
6,581 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Im sooooooo CoNfuSeD

As Cheryl said a condo rental or villa rental is great when traveling with young kids.

Also many condo rentals are available in places that Cheryl failed to mention, like Portofino Bay View Grand and Bay View Grand Residential and Lahia. These can usually be found by doing a google search or places like vrbo.com or homeaway.com

In many ways these condos are much nicer then Royal resorts as they give you incredible views both Caribbean and lagoon view as all condos go front to back and do not get the overcrowding where you have to get up at 7AM to reserve a pool chair. I have stayed many times at the various Royal Resorts and it is a good choice but has its ups and downs and not the only choice

Martinsburg, West...
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Im sooooooo CoNfuSeD

I have stayed at the Westin. The area is very nice and quite. The beach in that area is always touch and go. Club Med is right next door and has a beautiful beach in front. The beach is public access so you can use as well. The Westin is a older property. The food I would say is ok but we mostly went off property for dinner. Funny we were just looking at pictures from our stay there a couple years ago. The hotel is not what I would call up to Westin standards in the States. I know they have done a lot of work on the property after Wilma. We were there during Wilma and can only say the property was destroyed so a lot of new work has gone into it. The hotel was one of our more peaceful stays, pre-wilma. The bus to take you up and down the strip stops in front of the hotel. I would recommend if staying there take the tower option. This is where you get a separate section of the hotel complex and your own private pool for that area. As well they offer breakfast buffet with that as well as evening appetizers. I would recommend the Westin just not for the food every night. But thats what I think is fun is to try different places to eat. And for the nights you want some really cheap eats there is McDonalds, Johnny Rocket and other burger joints that the teens may like. The hotel is all the way down on the southern tip of the hotel zone. The bus ride from the hotel to downtown Cancun takes about 40 mins with the stops. But there is plenty with in a 20 min bus trip. I would give the Westin a 3 1/2 star out of 5. And you will find the places stating 5 stars arent really 5 star compared to US standards.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
2,161 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Im sooooooo CoNfuSeD

We always stay at the Hilton, so I can't comment on other resorts although I know there are many, many nice hotels in the area. THE best thing about the Hilton is the pool. It is the best I have ever seen. Also, all rooms are ocean view. We've been to Cancun at the end of November twice and had great weather each time.

I do know, in November, I have found some absolutely great rates to Cancun staying at the Hilton.

Package rates on hilton.com (click on airfare + room) started at $540 per person including airfare from Cincinnati for standard room for one week.

Booking hotel rooms only, rates started at $89.00 the first week of November and they have a special rate that you get 30% off and breakfast included for booking at least 3 months ahead of time. The penalty is: if you cancel you forfeit 30%. This is the rate I am using when we go in July and I am tempted to go again in early November for that price!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
14,177 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Im sooooooo CoNfuSeD

I'm not sure on the beach conditions at all the resorts, but also look at the Fiesta Americana Condessa or Coral Beach, also Gran Melia.

DeKalb, Illinois
Level Contributor
181 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Im sooooooo CoNfuSeD

thank you all for your suggestions---i love this site- we are not leaving until November so i probably will have a lot more questions to ask and hopefully no one will get sick of me.

Chicago
Level Contributor
54 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Im sooooooo CoNfuSeD

Hi!

We just returned from Cancun and stayed at the Fiesta Americana Grand Coral Beach. I have 2 girls also - 10 & 14. We LOVED this resort. All rooms are ocean view - some are a little better than others. This hotel was extremely quiet and within walking distance of lots of shops and restaurants.

P.S. I live in Sugar Grove - not too far from you! :-)

chicago
Level Contributor
2,056 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Im sooooooo CoNfuSeD

My 24-year-old son stayed at the Westin last January with a friend. They were in the Royal Beach Club which included breakfast and appetizers/cocktails every evening around 5:00. He travels all over the world and is very picky about where he stays; he had nothing but good things to say about the Westin. He said the food was very good, and the appetizers were more like a meal. They were there during the off-season so it wasn't crowded at all. I saw his pictures and the beach was very nice.

We were in Cancun in March and were looking into the Westin based on his advice but ended up staying at the Fiesta American Condesa. We were looking for a nice place to stay, not super nice, but a value and found it there. There were very low-key activities, not too-loud music. We had booked a standard room but were upgraded to maybe a superior room. It was clean and we had a balcony and great view. We paid about $725 per person for 11 nights in the hotel plus airfare from Chicago. I thought that was a pretty good deal. Breakfast buffet was included and it was very good. You could do AI if you wanted. The beach was a hit or miss. In the beginning of the week, there was a small beach but as the week went on, it disappeared. In walking the beach, most hotels were like that. We had waves, though, if that's what you want. If you want calm water, head to the top of the "7".

PS My son is 18 and he really enjoyed staying there.