We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

So youre wondering whether or not you should stil go...

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
So youre wondering whether or not you should stil go...

I sit here, in my law class reading all these posts. For myself, Cancun has been a home away from home, and I owe it to educate certain individuals on topics which they may or may not know about.

Now, I understand some of you are worried about this flu, and rightfuly so. Anyone who tells you otherwise is simply thinking with their heart, and not with their mind. But lets stick to the facts here....

Before I start, please remember that this is a dream come true for the media. This event has resulted to massive viewship from citizens, in turn, creating big bucks for many companies.

Now, lets look at some of the facts...

1) This is a "new" disease - that is, it demands coverage because its something that is new.

2) It has claimed the lives of over 80 individuals, thus far.

3) More than 1,000 people have been reported of being affected by it, thus far.

4) A large cluster of the "diseased" are in Mexico City... Far, far away from Cancun. This doesnt mean ppl from Mexico city wont travel to Cancun, but please understand the difference.

5) President of Mexico has mentioned that they have things under control, now. Take this for what its worth... Reports say that 1,300 cases have been "cured."

6) Tamiflu, made by Roche AG, and Relenza, from GlaxoSmithKline. Both have been shown to be effective against the new swine flu. This is being used in Mexico City to help control it.

7) Prepeation: As youve all heard, ppl in Mexico City have reacted very quickly to this sickness. Mexico has taken the precautions necessary: cancelling large "group" like events, importing medication, etc.

Again, these are facts. I am not saying you should or shouldnt go to Cancun. For what its worth, I *would* still go, but use common sense.... such as washing hands.

For those of you worried about your future trips... This sickness has spread quickly, but as a result, has demanded attention from doctors around the world. As a result, cases are already being reported that things are IMPROVING. 1,300 people who had swine flu in Mexico city are said to be doing FINE now. So please, before you cancel your trip thats in 2 weeks from today, consider the facts.

My personal opinion is that its just a matter of days until things go back to "normal"... I guess time will tell.

Sergeant Bluff, Iowa
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: So youre wondering whether or not you should stil go...

Its not necessarily the flu that I am concerned about. Its the fact that they are threatening to close to boarder to Mexico for people to get in that bothers me. What can you do about that?

Toronto
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: So youre wondering whether or not you should stil go...

I have yet to officially hear any word of boarders being closed. However, *IF* you are denied either access in, or out of Mexico/Canada/U.S, then it is likely because you have symptoms of swine flu. This is another precaution taken in order to help eliminate the sickness, asap.

Your worries are valid, but again, I have yet to hear of any such event occuring, officially.

chicago
Level Contributor
150 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: So youre wondering whether or not you should stil go...

All one needs to say in response is that there are those that err on the side of caution. I think all of the science indicates that this is the type of 'new' flu strain that most epidimiologists fear. It is unknown if this new strain will prosper or fade away. But, I think to err on the side of caution faced with this potentially deadly unknown is the most prudent action. There will be plenty of time to vacatrion in the future...there seesm to be a trend for living for now, immediate gratification; deferred gratification is for suckers.

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Pittsburgh, Cancun
Level Contributor
5,359 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: So youre wondering whether or not you should stil go...

Thanks for your post hyru.

Toronto
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: So youre wondering whether or not you should stil go...

Chances of you dying on the drive to the airport are far greater than you dying of swine flu.

Remember, this is a *new* sickness, which is why its getting the attention that it is. Its numbers are far from "impressive."

Owen Sound, Canada
Level Contributor
496 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: So youre wondering whether or not you should stil go...

Hyru, how many people have to die before it becomes "impressive" to you?

TX1
Southlake, Texas
Level Contributor
4,696 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: So youre wondering whether or not you should stil go...

I think before people get on their "soap box" they might need to realize that everyone has unique situations. Not much stops me from visiting MX, heck this is my 3rd trip this year. HOWEVER, my husband has a low immune system due to medication. (You would never know it to look at him). But,my point is, you never know some one's circumstances - and yes, some people should be re-considering their trip for various reasons that you may not have thought about.

Toronto
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: So youre wondering whether or not you should stil go...

Artie,

Before I start...

I by no means mean disrespect for the families that have had individuals passed away due to this illness. But do you understand what percentage 80 people, of the 110,000,000 population of Mexico is?

You have a higher chance of dying to:

1) flight to the airport

2) the Human Flu

Thus far, not impressive. THUS FAR.

To answer your question, I'll be more "impressed" with it when it becomes an outbreak that we cannot find a cure to, has been ongoing for months (if not yearss), has a higher mortality rate, and a higher chance of being transferred.

Hope that answers your question.

9. Re: So youre wondering whether or not you should stil go...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2009, 04:32