I sit here, in my law class reading all these posts. For myself, Cancun has been a home away from home, and I owe it to educate certain individuals on topics which they may or may not know about.
Now, I understand some of you are worried about this flu, and rightfuly so. Anyone who tells you otherwise is simply thinking with their heart, and not with their mind. But lets stick to the facts here....
Before I start, please remember that this is a dream come true for the media. This event has resulted to massive viewship from citizens, in turn, creating big bucks for many companies.
Now, lets look at some of the facts...
1) This is a "new" disease - that is, it demands coverage because its something that is new.
2) It has claimed the lives of over 80 individuals, thus far.
3) More than 1,000 people have been reported of being affected by it, thus far.
4) A large cluster of the "diseased" are in Mexico City... Far, far away from Cancun. This doesnt mean ppl from Mexico city wont travel to Cancun, but please understand the difference.
5) President of Mexico has mentioned that they have things under control, now. Take this for what its worth... Reports say that 1,300 cases have been "cured."
6) Tamiflu, made by Roche AG, and Relenza, from GlaxoSmithKline. Both have been shown to be effective against the new swine flu. This is being used in Mexico City to help control it.
7) Prepeation: As youve all heard, ppl in Mexico City have reacted very quickly to this sickness. Mexico has taken the precautions necessary: cancelling large "group" like events, importing medication, etc.
Again, these are facts. I am not saying you should or shouldnt go to Cancun. For what its worth, I *would* still go, but use common sense.... such as washing hands.
For those of you worried about your future trips... This sickness has spread quickly, but as a result, has demanded attention from doctors around the world. As a result, cases are already being reported that things are IMPROVING. 1,300 people who had swine flu in Mexico city are said to be doing FINE now. So please, before you cancel your trip thats in 2 weeks from today, consider the facts.
My personal opinion is that its just a matter of days until things go back to "normal"... I guess time will tell.