We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does anyone think flights will resume after the 8th May???

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
swansea. uk
Level Contributor
512 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Does anyone think flights will resume after the 8th May???

I know no one knows for sure but does anyone on here expect flight to re-commence from the UK from the 8th May onwards. My brother is due to get married in Rivera Maya on the 20th May and 20 of us are due to fly out on the 11th May. I am devastated for him and his partner, we came back from his stag night in Spain yesterday to the news we probably won’t be going. Thomsons have said they won’t know anything until the 8th but surely this will make a decision before then in relation to flights leaving on the 11th May. The lady from Thomsons was very helpful but they basically don’t know anything.

Its just so frustrating half of my family have packed to go, we have paid for car hire to the airport, suite hire etc and this is turning into a nightmare.

Leeds
Level Contributor
391 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does anyone think flights will resume after the 8th May???

I was due to go on my honeymoon flying out on the 11th May

I was told the same - that flights are only cancelled up to the 8th May, but I still have the option to rebook to another date.

Surely by next Tuesday at least they will be able to tell us if flights from 09th onwards will be cancelled or not. Surely they will not just leave it till the 8th to make the decision?

swansea. uk
Level Contributor
512 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does anyone think flights will resume after the 8th May???

They should know more by the weekend so hopefully we will know either way early next week. If the flights are running then we are going 100%.

Its the uncertainty of it all, at the moment my brother doesnt even know if he will be getting married!

USA
Level Contributor
7,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Does anyone think flights will resume after the 8th May???

No one knows.

Leeds
Level Contributor
391 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Does anyone think flights will resume after the 8th May???

That is awful for you all. Really awful.

All i can say is surely, if flights are only cancelled till the 8th May, then they have to tell you on the 8th if you are going or if it is cancelled. But you would think they wouldnt leave it that long and hopefully they can tell people by at least Tuesday the 5th about the flights from 9th onwards.

Even if the flights resume running from 9th May onwards, they are still offering people free rescheduling. But you wont want to reschedule will you, you will want to go for definate.

It all depends on whether the FCO still say it is unsafe to travel. Thompsons and other tour operators cant go against what they say.....can they?

swansea. uk
Level Contributor
512 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Does anyone think flights will resume after the 8th May???

They probably could as BA haven’t taken the governments advice. But Thomsons have said they have a duty of care to all its customer so probably wouldn’t want to risk sending people to Mexico against government advice just incase.

I am just hoping things die down over the next few days and they start flying again, otherwise we will all have to cancel and re-arrange for next year.

uk
Level Contributor
1,277 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Does anyone think flights will resume after the 8th May???

I feel so sorry for you, but your chances of being able to relocate a large party to another area are now slim (yesterday many seemed to be strugeling to get others places at resonable prices)includding my parents who have now changed to barbados at great cost). It may be worth looking at tring to change your booking so as to fly out of GB as near to the 20th as possible that way you would get the best chane of being there for that date, but thats still by no way a certainty. If you are all booked with the same operator it will at least help keeping you all together. best of luck to you and all the others in the same sort of situation.

Leeds
Level Contributor
391 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Does anyone think flights will resume after the 8th May???

Penlan - did they tell you that they should know more by the weekend? Did they indicate they would be able to tell you if they are continuing to cancel flights from the 9th onwards?

8. Re: Does anyone think flights will resume after the 8th May???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2009, 05:04