We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
kansas
Level Contributor
76 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Incrediable deals now

I checked on Northwest Airlines, and one can fly from Kansas City, staying 4 nights at the J.W. Marriott for only $667 round trip! In August.

I hear the only catch is that the beaches are washed away from pass hurricanes, and that August is hurricane season again. And I assume the whole flu deal will be just a bad memory by then. The rooms were only $95 per night! Now that's a deal! Am I missing anything here? Or will the flu thing still be a problem in August? Please give me your input, Thank you, Toehead

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,217 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Incrediable deals now

Yes, August is prime hurricane season. Does it mean this area will be hit? Who knows? There are no guarantees.

Generally the flu season is over by late spring. However, since this flu started in a warm climate -- as opposed to winter being our prime time for the flu -- well, who knows?

The latest is that this could become a worse bug when -- and if -- it comes around next fall. Again, who knows?

Yes, these are great deals and Cancun is a fun place and Mexico has really been dealt a bad set of cards lately with warnings about drug-related killings all winter and now warnings about a killer flu.

Usually...it all depends on where you're going (location, location, as they say), what you plan to do (where you eat, what kind of social life you enjoy, and how much you drink). There is always a risk and all you can do is be educated and informed and make decisions based on that education and information -- not merely on a "good deal" or some romantic impulse.

South Shields...
Level Contributor
92 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Incrediable deals now

Wow !!! kzdallas

I feel like jumping off a bridge now :)

Nashville
Level Contributor
463 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Incrediable deals now

Direct flights out of Nashville now are around $280, haven't seen that price in years! We always thought under $400 was a bargain.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
39 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Incrediable deals now

My girlfriend and I are flying down to the JW on the 24th from OKC. My personal belief is that when the news gets another subject to do their patented "Nancy Grace Obsessive Freakout" routine over this will all fade away; my guess is by next weekend. Airfare this year is a full $500 per pair cheaper for us than last year - and now there is a big demand drop so bargains are going to come out of the woodwork. Our flight to Puerto Vallarta in September was only $500 for the both of us on Continental. I feel it is our solemn and patriotic duty to drink umbrella drinks by the pool and support the local economy.

kansas
Level Contributor
76 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Incrediable deals now

I to love Mexico. I've been to all the boarder towns from Matamoros to Tijuana many times. And I've been to Puero Vallarta, and Cabos San Lucas. And on a cruise to Cozumel. I've never been to Cancun yet. I also would like to help out there economy in what small way I can. My number one concern is always safety. I'm a single middle aged male traveler,I watch my back and surrounds, don't go to bars down dark alleys late at night ect.

I'm more afraid of the police than anything. My main thing is to go poolside and drink. So, I guess I could book this trip, and buy insurance on it. I go to "Insure my trip .com" You can compare alot of policies and prices.

I feel to that these prices will not hold for long.

columbus ohio
Level Contributor
5,458 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Incrediable deals now

I am booked for 2 weeks in Sept. and 2 weeks over Christmas, and I got both fares for $99 each way plus tax, and I got this before the flu scare. I am well pleased, haven`t seen fares like this in years

Swampscott...
Level Contributor
347 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Incrediable deals now

People keep talking that the flu season it over because the warm weather started. People are forgetting that the warm weather didn't really start until like two weeks ago... at least here in Boston.

It was 36 degrees here 2 weeks ago, so this is not a normal spring, therefore the flue season was prolonged.

I mean, we just started to see some leaves on the trees.

No one is taking the weather into consideration, accept for one day, it hasn't really been warm.

My 2 Cents

kansas
Level Contributor
76 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Incrediable deals now

Major price correction! N.W.A. advertised $667 r/t air and 4 nights at the J.W. Marriott 8/18/09 from Kansas City. Now that I try to book, it still shows $667, but when you get so far on your booking it jumps over 50% in price to $1,032! What gives, taxs can't be that high, over 50%! I'm trying to contact N.W.A. to find out what's going on. $365 in extra's?

On a $667 trip!

chicago
Level Contributor
36 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Incrediable deals now

prices might be going up on the flights since they are cutting many flights

kansas
Level Contributor
76 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Incrediable deals now

Sorry, no. They still show $284 r/t air. the problem has to be with the hotel. ( my guess)