We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What can a woman travelling on own do in Cancun?

victoria
1 post
Save Topic
What can a woman travelling on own do in Cancun?

It will be my first visit and I can't wait!!! I am coming from Canada and because I booked with Delta via Salt Lake City I can get there for May 10th on Mother's Day!!! I can't wait!!

What should I do for sure? I am a nature lover, I like culture and getting to know the locals and I like sacred places. Where is the best place to snorkel and can I do it if I never snorkeled before?

Tulum, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,516 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What can a woman travelling on own do in Cancun?

I don't know how far you want to venture from Cancun. I have never stayed in Cancun, but vacationed in Cozumel, lived there three years and now live in the Tulum area (2 yrs.) I have traveled alone many times and have always felt comfortable. If you are comfortable taking the public transportation, i.e. ADO buses, then you can see many archeological, nature, and traditional sights. If that is not comfortable, renting a car is great. Driving is easy once you get out of the Cancun traffic.

If this is your first time, I would recommend a tour to Chichen Itza. It should be open again by the time you come down. The govt. has closed a lot of places where crowds congregate to stem the tide of this flu bug. But things are calming down and I would think by the 10th you will be in the clear.

Because of your interest in nature, I would recommend a trip to Aktun Chen. I would take a bus to Playa del Carmen and from there take a taxi to Aktun Chen. Aktun Chen is a cave system found just off the main highway between Playa del Carmen and Tulum. If a taxi is too costly, take a collectivo.

There is a monkey reserve west and north of Tulum that might be an interesting visit for a nature lover. There are spider monkeys there and although my buddies saw them, I have not. However, I truly enjoyed the guided tour through the jungle and all of the birds I saw. We once took a second trail to see the lone family of howler monkeys and they are awesome. They were just hanging out in a tree...mom, dad, and two kids. They looked a lot like small gorillas to me.

There is lots to do for someone willing to wander and check things out. If you don't speak much Spanish, I would recommend tours for the time being. Tour guides will be able to add a lot to your experience because they can speak English. Then when you come back...and you will...you can look forward to more independent travel...especially if you have picked up some Spanish in the meantime. Without Spanish there is lots to do and places to enjoy. With Spanish the doors open exponentially and you get a more behind the scenes view. Less touristy.

Enjoy your stay. PM me if you need more info on outlying areas. Can't help with the fast pace of Cancun...just not my thing.

uk
Level Contributor
1,295 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What can a woman travelling on own do in Cancun?

The monkey reserve place sounds brill!. My daughter is monkey mad. We spent 4 days in barbados looking for wild monkeys. What is the place called and how can we get to this, do we need a car. Are the mokeys just roaming wild, ie not in enclosures.

thanks for any help

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What can a woman travelling on own do in Cancun?

I would say Cozumel is your best bet for snorkeling, although Xel Ha is worth a shot too.

Snorkeling really doesn't require anything but the ability to kick. Generally tours will offer/require a life vest and provide everything you need. It's pretty intuitive from there. :)

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
29,091 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What can a woman travelling on own do in Cancun?

I suggest Coba for ruins. You can climb the main structure

BSQ
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
5,583 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What can a woman travelling on own do in Cancun?

Agree with Coba. Xcaret might be an option for you as well. Just about every resort will have a tour desk or both are an easy drive if you want to rent a car.

http://www.xcaret.com/

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
2,820 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What can a woman travelling on own do in Cancun?

you do realize this person has been to cancun and gone by now. She was there for mothers day, possibly look at the dates prior to posting!!!

7. Re: What can a woman travelling on own do in Cancun?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 November 2009, 06:20