We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What Am I Doing Wrong? Sun Tanning 101

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fishers, IN
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Topic
What Am I Doing Wrong? Sun Tanning 101

Ok - so I have been to Cancun 3 times my 4th time starts this Saturday. Every time I go and come home everyone says I don't look like I have been to Cancun. What am I doing wrong? Do some people just not tan well? Is there anything I can do to boost my color? I usually wear a 30 spray all day. Sometimes mid week I switch to 8 or 15.

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
92 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What Am I Doing Wrong? Sun Tanning 101

Base tan before you go either by a few sessions on the tanning beds or lay out if you have nice weather there. it prepares your skin for the uv rays and you will get much darker and less chance of burning your skin on vacation.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
33,190 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What Am I Doing Wrong? Sun Tanning 101

Not everybody has the same amount of melanin in their skin so everybody will tan differently. I don't go anywhere near as brown as I did 20 years ago. My legs don't even look like they've been to the same place as the rest of my body!! My husband uses factor 50 in the caribbean and comes back a similar colour to the locals.

Don't forget a suntan, no matter how you acquired it, (with the exception of false) might look good and make you feel good but has already damaged your skin.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
44 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What Am I Doing Wrong? Sun Tanning 101

I've been planning for tanning on my upcomming visit May 16 - 23. This includes trips to the Tanning bed to establish my base tan. Once I'm in Cancun I will be using SPF 30 for the first 3 days, then SPF 15 there after. If you can hit the tanning bed at least once before you go it should help, just don't do longer than 10-12 minutes.

-Tom

Martinsburg, West...
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What Am I Doing Wrong? Sun Tanning 101

I come back home as white as I was when I left. My skin is very very fair and I have to wear 50 sunblock. I re apply several times in the day. I am of Irish decent so again very very fair skin. I come back just well relaxed and wanting to go back again.

Duluth, Minnesota
Level Contributor
68 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What Am I Doing Wrong? Sun Tanning 101

I am of Norwegian descent and am also quite fair... I'm not a fan of tanning (because I can't! lol) but I think it's a good idea to get *little* bit of a base tan before I go... any idea how many times I should hit the booths?

dallas
Level Contributor
196 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: What Am I Doing Wrong? Sun Tanning 101

the tanning places have some high power beds that you will not burn with and are made especially for perople who do not tan. go to your local place and ask them about that. I would go atleast a month before I left every other day.

Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
632 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What Am I Doing Wrong? Sun Tanning 101

<--- tan expert (or atleast I think so)

I would go to the tanning salon and use one of the high power beds (little on the pricey side but well worth it.) Usually you buy those beds by a weekly package. So use a high power bed with a accelorator lotion everyday for 7 days (right before you go) (don't use a bronzer lotion that basically is fake color, I like to call it a staining lotion- the sh*t is orange/brown when you pour it out of the bottle)*******moisturize every chance you have (best lotions are the lotions at the salons but again may be on the pricey side) skin tans the best when its moisturized!!!!!

then when you get in the sun put the accelorator lotion on mixed with the 30 or 15 (which ever you choose) You'll get color but again moisturize every chance you have because like I said skin will tan faster or more even. Drink a lot of water and your skin will look vibrant and glowing :)

p.s. a professional facial prior would help as well :) Good luck!

stirling,scotland
Level Contributor
367 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What Am I Doing Wrong? Sun Tanning 101

as a beauty therapist id say stay away from sunbeds! but they do help create a good base tan but u only want to go on 5 mins once a week for 4 weeks! dont tell my boss i told u that! lol

alternative to sunbeds try going to ur local salon and getting an deep exfoliation body treatment. this makes sure u tan evenly and a product i swear by is decleor paris aromessence solaire. u apply this oil 3-5 days before u go in the morning and continue to use while u are away. it is a natural product with rose, camomile and geranium essential oils. what it does stimulates the natural melonin in ur skin bringing it to the surface so you tan from day one. if u are unlucky enough like me to live in a country with not much sun it helps because when skin is not exposed to the sun on a daily basis, it takes 3- 5 days for tanning cells to come to the surface. this oil also raises ur skins natural spf to 5. so when using the oil and using a spf 15 u really have a 20 providing u with excellent protection from the harmful rays and promoting an healthy natural tan! my legs never tan but they do with that.

sorry that was a bit of a novel! lol lol

p.s i dont sell this product at work i just love it! lol lol

whatever u decide to do good luck

Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
632 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What Am I Doing Wrong? Sun Tanning 101

arleneb- does that oil cause skin break outs?

El Paso, Texas
Level Contributor
522 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What Am I Doing Wrong? Sun Tanning 101

What time do you hit the beach? Do you get any kind of tab at all?

I tan in a sunbed before I leave to get a "base" I always come back with a great tan, I hit the beach between 11am-2pm that is when the sun is the hottest, after 2pm I have noticed I don't see any change in my tan. But this is MY experience.

I am the type who gets a little red then it turns into a tan. I only tan my body not my face. I wear 85 block on face and ears and 15 block on my body. I get wet in the ocean, go back to my lounger and sun dry. I will play in the ocean for a bit then repeat the process the few hours I am out there.

Every person tans differently, you will have to try different things to see what works best for you.