We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

anyone here NOT check in luggage when flying to CUN?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
426 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
anyone here NOT check in luggage when flying to CUN?

We are headed down for a getaway weekend (4 days/3 nights). We are considering not checking in luggage, basically for 3 reasons: no risk of lost luggage, no bag fees, no wasting time at baggage claim.

Anyone else here not check in luggage going to Cancun? I think the only problem is the sunscreen..I'll have to assemble a bunch of 3 oz sunscreen bottles.

Best Seller
Tulum Ruins, Reef Snorkeling Plus...
136 reviews
from US$109.00*
Best Seller
Viator Exclusive: Early Access to...
1,055 reviews
from US$97.33*
Best Seller
Chichen Itza Day Trip from Cancun
1,380 reviews
from US$64.50*
Best Seller
Chichen Itza Tour and Cenote Swimming...
158 reviews
from US$49.00*
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
104 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: anyone here NOT check in luggage when flying to CUN?

Just be prepared on the way back to be hassled by customs; they'll think you are bringing drugs.

Tomball, TX
Level Contributor
120 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: anyone here NOT check in luggage when flying to CUN?

If your flying continental from the US to CUN, there is no fee for your first checked bag.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,951 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: anyone here NOT check in luggage when flying to CUN?

I go carryon only and have scuba gear (no BC). Never hassled by customs, but then I am clean cut and an Eagle Scout.

I have used the same 3 oz container of sunscreen for about three trips. Still enough in it for another trip or two but I do not lay in the sun.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,491 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: anyone here NOT check in luggage when flying to CUN?

I really don't think there's much of a wait for luggage given the number of cancelled trips/flights, so if that's the main issue I wouldn't worry about it.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
470 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: anyone here NOT check in luggage when flying to CUN?

American doesn't charge for checked bags on international flights either.

buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
236 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: anyone here NOT check in luggage when flying to CUN?

I just went for 4 days/3 nights and carried-on for the first time. Plenty of room in the overhead bins, no waiting for the bag, etc... I was worried about the 3 oz/quart size bag thing but I just took travel sized shampoo/conditioner/toothpaste/hand sanitizer and was able to fit 2 bottles of my favorite nutrogena sunscreen in the bag too. They nabbed me on the way home with a 4 oz. bottle of sunscreen though. Nobody hassled me or was suspicious.

Florida
Level Contributor
6,581 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: anyone here NOT check in luggage when flying to CUN?

I go 8-10 times a year and LA_Guy_74 is wrong, I never check luggage and never been stopped by customs.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: anyone here NOT check in luggage when flying to CUN?

MGo flying out of Hartsfield is hassle enough. If you can get away without checking a bag, it's better. We do it all the time for our short trips like you're taking. Most resorts have more shampoo, etc. So the 3oz rule never bothered me. If your trip is not for a while, there are several websites that sell travel size sunscreen. I've also seen the travel size at CVS and Wal-Mart. So avoid the hassle.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
426 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: anyone here NOT check in luggage when flying to CUN?

Whoops..I just realized our carrier (Delta) lets you check 2 bags per person for free on Intl flights. So I guess that's not a valid reason anymore!

Bonita Springs...
Level Contributor
1,437 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: anyone here NOT check in luggage when flying to CUN?

If you're in Economy with Delta, it's ONE free checked bag per passenger, weighing no more than 50lbs, for international flights. When I stayed at The Grand, shampoo etc is/was provided, along with sunscreen at the towel hut near the pool. Enjoy! Margaret