We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must do on Isla Mujeres

Warwick,RI
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Must do on Isla Mujeres

Hi All...I am goint to Cancun next week and staying at the Sun Palace.I hear so many great things about Isla Mujeres and am wondering what are the "must do" things on the Island.I will be going with a group of 10 and looking to rent golf carts to get around.

Thanks for all of the great info. in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Isla Mujeres
Isla Mujeres
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Chillicothe, Ohio
Level Contributor
459 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Must do on Isla Mujeres

Drive by the seashell house.

Beckville, Texas
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Must do on Isla Mujeres

bingo. . .rent a cart (pay in pesos. .not dollars, you'll save money) and travel to Punta Sur along the east road past some BEAUTIFUL homes (including the shell house). Eat a cheeseburger at the little open air cafe at Punta Sur, drink a cold beer or two. Go back to Playa Norte and spend the rest of the day at or around Buho's bar. I wish I were there right now.

Warwick,RI
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Must do on Isla Mujeres

Do they have maps so I know where things are on the Island or is it pretty easy to just venture off.

Thanks

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
3,613 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Must do on Isla Mujeres

I vote for the Turtle Farm.

http://www.isla-mujeres.net/landfun.htm

everett wa
Level Contributor
810 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Must do on Isla Mujeres

Go to the southern tip, by the lighthouse, and there is a funky sculpture walk around place with a bar. We had lunch there and sat out in the sun and watched the waves. AMAZING! Just cruising the golf cart is a blast. You cant really get lost but you could have fun trying. :-} I love Isla!

Southern California
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Must do on Isla Mujeres

Stop by Zama's beach club on Sac Bajo, use of the pools and tanning beds is free if you eat and drink there, food is good and the restrooms are really clean!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
2,820 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Must do on Isla Mujeres

I would have got a map from Mapchick, you still have time. Her maps rock!!!

In a Little Cafe...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
10,870 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Must do on Isla Mujeres

Here's a decent set of maps online from the folks at Isla-Mujeres.net;

http://www.isla-mujeres.net/maproom.htm

Some of my personal favorites are for casual food and drink are Jax, Buccanero's, Rolandi's, and do try the west (Cancun side)open air, restaurants near the pier serving cold cerveza and fresh grilled fish.

Garrafon Eco Park is a terrific day trip, Castillo adjacent to Garrafon is a good do on your own snorkel& sunbathe venue also and Playa Norte is one of the nicest beaches one will find anywhere.

The Turtle Farm is a must see in my opinion, the Pirate Mundaca Park so-so, the Lighthouse and shops at Punta Sur worth a visit (do climb the lighthouse for the view) and shell collecting on the eastern shore can be fun but you'll need to get there early.

Also, just wandering the town center shops and restaurants can be a lot of fun as well.

Keep in mind there's plenty of snorkeling and scuba opportunities available as well.

Warwick,RI
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Must do on Isla Mujeres

Thanks everyone

nj and cancun
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply