We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what currency is best to take to mexico from england

manchester
4 posts
Save Topic
what currency is best to take to mexico from england

we are travelling to mexico on the 17 june for two weeks and just want to know what is the best currency to take pesos or us dollars or a mixture of both

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,508 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what currency is best to take to mexico from england

Take pesos or better still get pesos in Mexico (either by exchanging pounds or directly from a bank machine).

Halesowen, United...
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what currency is best to take to mexico from england

take pesos the exchange is better than usd you can also use pesos for your departure tax

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
2,820 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what currency is best to take to mexico from england

If I came to england ( which I have) I brought pounds and if you came to canada you would bring the dollar. Now you are going to Mexico I think you should bring pesos, its just easier for you as all change is given in pesos anyways.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
104 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what currency is best to take to mexico from england

If you take only pesos though, don't you lose out on the exchange rate when sellers and day trip operators quote prices in US Dollars? Do they give you a fair rate for your Pesos?

TX1
Southlake, Texas
Level Contributor
4,708 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what currency is best to take to mexico from england

yes

Bebington, United...
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what currency is best to take to mexico from england

No question - Pesos.

Chester, UK
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: what currency is best to take to mexico from england

@ TX1.... Yes.... You lose out OR Yes.... They give you a fair rate?

Michigan
Level Contributor
976 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what currency is best to take to mexico from england

I never understand this question! If I were going to England, I'd need pounds. France - euros. So why US dollars in Mexico? Their currency is pesos.

I'm not trying to be a smarta**, I really don't understand the question. Can someone help me make sense of it?

coventry, england
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: what currency is best to take to mexico from england

no you will not lose out if you use pesos on the exchange rate when buying things posted in dollars, prices are in dollars for americans who many use there dollars. if anything you will lose out on there poor exchange rate at the minute changing from pounds to dollars in the UK. The exchange rate is far better to change from pounds to pesos, on top of that you will if you use dollers you get a worse exchage rate when they give you change in pesos and worse exnge rate if the price is in pesos and convert to dollars for you.

TX1
Southlake, Texas
Level Contributor
4,708 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: what currency is best to take to mexico from england

So sorry Irvine - Multi tasking is not always a good thing!

Yes, they give you a very fair rate - as mentioned - use the currency of the country you are in - rates are adjusted for peso or American $. But out of courtesy, it's best to use the peso and in addition w/the exchange rate, it's to your advantage.