We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

do I need to pack bugspray?

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
89 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
do I need to pack bugspray?

Is it particularly buggy (mosquitos are a particular concern) in Cancun? We're just planning on hanging out by the pool/beach, but nothing's more annoying than having to swat at bugs.

If I need to pack bugspray, this might mean I'd have to check in luggage. Ugh.

Florida
Level Contributor
6,581 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: do I need to pack bugspray?

no unless you plan on hanging on the lagoon side, you will not find a lot of bugs by pool and beach as there usually is a nice breeze in Cancun. Sometimes you will be wishing the breeze was not so strong

TX1
Southlake, Texas
Level Contributor
4,696 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: do I need to pack bugspray?

I've never had trouble w/bugs there - I use to bring spray - never used it. They also sell wipes now - so you can bring that instead of a can - if you do choose to bring some.

San Antonio
Level Contributor
437 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: do I need to pack bugspray?

If you plan to venture into the jungle, or to the zoo, then yes. Otherwise, no.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
242 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: do I need to pack bugspray?

Never had to use it or even take it, if you are staying down South towards Playa I dont think you would need it either, unless you went on some kind of jungle tour or had some kind of stay where you were exposed to the elements over night.

Aurora, Illinois
Level Contributor
184 posts
336 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: do I need to pack bugspray?

When we were in the jungle outside of Puerta Vallarta. the bug spray we put on attracted the little biting bugs!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
247 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: do I need to pack bugspray?

I WOULD bring bug repellent...especially if you plan on going off the resort.

I have been lucky enough to go to this area many times, I never get a single bite, but my husband and daughter get eaten alive at night, unless they have bug spray on. And, we usually stay at a resort where they spray.

I guess you won't know till you get there, but why risk having to go spend the time to go shopping.

League City, Texas
Level Contributor
1,480 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: do I need to pack bugspray?

Not sure you need it but it would be cheaper to buy it once you get there than to pay to check a bag.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,503 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: do I need to pack bugspray?

IMO it depends if you're the type of person who gets bitten a lot, as some people seem to avoid bites even if there are thousands of the things around!

I get bitten to pieces on holiday and will never travel without repellent, as not only are bites itchy and unsightly, but I've reacted pretty badly in the past. I also tend to come back with an average of 40-50 bites each holiday, even if I'm going somewhere where everyone says mosquitos aren't a problem AND I still use repellent!

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,503 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: do I need to pack bugspray?

Also: you can get wipes with deet in, as well as roll-ons (at least you can in the UK), so you can bring it without checking luggage.

Level Contributor
1,283 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: do I need to pack bugspray?

Of all the years we have been going to Cancun, the only time we have ever needed bug spray (and bugs love my husband & daughter), was the year of Wilma. We were actually in Cancun between the 2 hurricanes that year (Lucky?) and the mosquitos were out in force - probably because of the wet conditions - but never in any other year have we been in their presence!