We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AI Hotel Recommendations - Good food? Adults Only?

Bethlehem...
Level Contributor
257 posts
Save Topic
AI Hotel Recommendations - Good food? Adults Only?

Good morning everyone, my husband and I have traveled to Cancun once before. We travelled in June of 2006 and stayed at the Barcelo Tucancun. We liked the beach at this property (beach is a top priority) as well as the proximity of the downtown bar/restaurant/shopping scene. When return this time, however, we were hoping to stay somewhere that has better food and drinks and perhaps caters more towards adults/couples. In terms of rooms, we would love somewhere we could get an oceanview room, but won't be in the room much, so are willing to be flexible here.

We have read reviews on the The Royal and the Sun Palace, but these are a bit more than we were hoping to spend. We also checked out Secrets Silversands but think we would prefer to be in Cancun where it's easier to explore off the resort than in Playa del Carmen. I was hoping there are some Mexico travelers out there who might be able to recommend some great AIs in Cancun with a great beach, great food, great drinks, and wonderful amenities. We like resorts with a lot of options in terms of restaurants and bars. Again, we would prefer adults-only, but realize there are not many of these and this might not fit the budget (<$3,000 w/ flight for 8 nights), so we are open to family-friendly resorts as well.

Thank you in advance for all of your suggestions! We appreciate your expertise!

Fond du Lac...
Level Contributor
29 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: AI Hotel Recommendations - Good food? Adults Only?

Another AI adults only is Temptation Resort & Spa. That's where my friend and I are looking at going in August...sounds like a fun place, but I haven't been there yet so can't say from personal experience :)

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: AI Hotel Recommendations - Good food? Adults Only?

Secrets Silver Sands does not have a nice beach so I would not recommend this property if you are looking for a nice beach. Rates are cheap however.

Valentin has a better beach and has some good rates - you might check out the reviews on that property.

If "great beach, great food, great drinks, and wonderful amenities" are your priorities and your budget is 3k with air than you will not be able to swing the resorts that meet those criteria IMO. Iberostar Grand (luxurious and meets all your criteria) would be a top pick but will run you more than that, as will Secrets Maroma which has a pretty beach.

We really enjoyed Paradisus so you might check that out as well.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,983 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: AI Hotel Recommendations - Good food? Adults Only?

Hi

If your budget fits and you do not mind being away from the hustle and bustle of the hotel zone I would certainly suggest you look at the two Excellence Resorts, both of which are high end all inclusive adult only resorts– see link to their website below:

http://www.excellence-resorts.com/

When it comes down to it finding the perfect resort is a matter of personal choice as we each have different desires, wishes and expectations. We also have different experiences to base our preferences on.

Excellence Riviera Cancun is the #1 resort in the Puerto Morelos. Excellence Playa Mujeres rocketed up to #3 position on Tripadvisor’s Popularity Index for Cancun before recently being transferred to its own destination board which is an astounding achievement as it only opened in November 2007.

Both resorts are away from the hustle and bustle and concrete of the main hotel zone but are still close enough to have a trip out to a club at night if you wanted to. They do however have plenty of day time activities if you want to get involved – otherwise there are loads of places just to chill out.

We are lucky enough to have been to all three Excellence Resorts I would say that they are all very similar but different if that makes any sense. To a certain extent it is like trying to compare a pineapple, a kiwi fruit and a mango – they are all great tropical delights but they each have their own flavours and appeals

To find out more information on both resorts I would suggest a good starting point, if you have not already done so, would be to look at my reviews and photographs of the two resorts:

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g1229340-d64…

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g240327-d499…

As I have said at the outset it all depend what you are looking for – EPM is just over a year old, is ultra modern and has taken accommodation standards to a whole new level – the rooftop terrace suites are awesome. To a certain extent it has the “marmite factor” in that you will either love it or hate it – we loved it and from looking at all the great reviews it gets many obviously agree. ERC is a great resort that tends to suck you into it’s soul - is about four years old now and does seem a bit dated in comparison to EPM but not when compared with many other resorts – it is not #1 by accident.

Basically, you cannot go wrong with either resort but it very much depends on what you want in a holiday.

Happy to assist further if you need it

Level Contributor
1,286 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: AI Hotel Recommendations - Good food? Adults Only?

We are going June 30 from Philly and got air for $233 non-stop on USAIR. We are staying at the Cancun Palace and as memmbers, we have a great rate. For the 2 of us, it is about $2500 including air. I also saw Liberty Travel was offering free air for stays of 7 days or longer. I find the Palace is well worth the cost especially with the excellent food and included tours!

Monroe, North...
Level Contributor
188 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: AI Hotel Recommendations - Good food? Adults Only?

There is also the Golden Parnassus, which is Adults Only. It is one of the smaller, older resorts, but it gets good reviews. They seem to have alot of repeat visitors. They are also well priced!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
100 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: AI Hotel Recommendations - Good food? Adults Only?

My husband and I went to the Golden Parnassus and LOVED our visit. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to email me directly. I can share pictures if you would like.

The reply mentioning the Golden is right, it is smaller, there are tons of repeat guests. It is cozy and quaint. It is NOT a high end resort by any means, but we found that the staff was unbelievable! Our room was clean and just fine. The food was good, especially Pier 12. We would go again.

Becky and Dave in MN

7. Re: AI Hotel Recommendations - Good food? Adults Only?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 November 2009, 06:19