We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Have you ever forgotten something...Important!?!

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bethlehem...
Level Contributor
728 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Have you ever forgotten something...Important!?!

My DH has been laughing at me because I keep thinking I'm forgetting something. I've been in & out of the suitcase twice this week alone.

Tho I shouldn't be telling this, one time I let him pack his own suitcase & when we got to the hotel he discovered...

he hadn't packed his underwear!

Anyone else ever forget to pack something - essential???

Bay Area
Level Contributor
298 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Have you ever forgotten something...Important!?!

I was going abroad for a month last year and I forgot my medicine! I realized it when I was half way to the airport, fortunately we had left with plenty of time!

But there are very few things that are "essential". Most everything you can buy in whichever country you go to (specially Mexico). Of course, some things like medicine (if you have insurance at home) or cameras you may not want to. But one time I forgot to bring an extra pair of contacts or glasses to a trip to Morocco and my contacts broke. I was able to go to an optician and get a new pair of glasses. It was funny because he had a chart with pictures, for children, but I didn't know the words for them in Arabic, so I tried to mime whatever I saw :-)

Durham ,NC
Level Contributor
223 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Have you ever forgotten something...Important!?!

I packed my husband suitcase once for a trip to my parents and I forgot to pack his underware. He tried to be mad at me and I said hey if you would have packed yourself you won't have forgot them. your lucky you have clothes.

Almost forgot to pack my kids diapers for the trip this Friday (we travel to my parents a lot so my mom just buys diapers for us so I never have to pack them). Glad I remembered cause that would have been expensive in Mexico.

Boston
Level Contributor
61 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Have you ever forgotten something...Important!?!

A week before our trip to DR I drove my girlfriend crazy with constant reminders to pack her passport. On the day we left, 15 minutes into a cab ride to the airport, I risked life and limb to ask her one final time, "did you bring your passport?". Sure enough, it was still sitting on the kitchen table. It was simply a self-fulfilling prophecy.

On my side, I once forgot my ATM card on a trip to Miami Beach. Once I spent the $20 I had on me at the airport Dunkin Dounuts anything requiring cash had to come from a credit card withdraw. Ouch!

portsmouth england
Level Contributor
696 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Have you ever forgotten something...Important!?!

Yes

Today i came to work and forgot my sandwiches and I didn't have any money on me :(

Bethlehem...
Level Contributor
728 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Have you ever forgotten something...Important!?!

Traveling with various people, they've all forgotten something; passports, ATM cards...

Our first trip to Cancun there were no ATMs so we had to call back home & have money wired to us. Getting downtown to pick up the money back then was an adventure in itself.

elsewhere
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Have you ever forgotten something...Important!?!

I have three swimsuits, by which I mean three tankini tops that each cooridinate with one pair of black bottoms. On our trip to Cancun earlier this month, I remembered to pack all three tops but forgot the bottoms.

Swimsuits in the gift shop cost about $300 and since we were staying at the Moon Palace, there were no other shops nearby. I wasn't about to pay that much, so I bought a pair of little boys' swimtrunks and wore those all week. They didn't match the tops and I looked pretty ridiculous. Thankfully, I'm not vain. :-)

Level Contributor
1,283 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Have you ever forgotten something...Important!?!

Newtoplaya - it had to be $300 meaning 300 pesos (they use the dollar sign and all items are marked in pesos) which would have been less than $30!

This last trip, I forgot my insulin - it was all ready in the refrigerator. I realized halfway to the airport and there was no time to go back. After mulling over getting someone to fedex them to me, we decided against beacause it would take a minimum of 3 days! We decided to try & get insulin in Mexico. When we went to the pharmacies, it was sold over the counter. Mexico has ONE brand and not in the convenient pen form. There were also 3 forms of it. We also got a syringe over the counter. The brand was humulog which is human insulin. I was taking synthetic. After deliberation I picked the 70/30 kind which was long acting & rapid. I tried it and had better control with it than my existing insulin! I told my doctor when I came back and he said I had picked the best kind (since I currently use 2 different ones). He didn't switch me though. He said it was an older drug - which makes me think - do we need all these newer higher priced medicines? Oh well, that's another topic!

elsewhere
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Have you ever forgotten something...Important!?!

Oh, wow, starjm, I'm glad that worked out for you. That's serious, and scary.

No, the swimsuits were $3000 pesos ... roughly US $300. And they weren't even anything I would be caught dead wearing. I decided I'd rather look ridiculous in the little boys' swim trunks.

elsewhere
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Have you ever forgotten something...Important!?!

P.S. The trunks were $270 pesos, so about US $27.

somewhere
Level Contributor
3,075 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Have you ever forgotten something...Important!?!

Worst thing was forgetting to call the bank and letting them know we were traveling. Thankfully we didn't have a direct flight and were able to call during the layover.

Not sure what we would have done if they cut us off! LOL