We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Oasis Caribbean Resort

WV
Level Contributor
45 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Oasis Caribbean Resort

My husband I have never been to Cancun or this resort (or out of the US for that matter). We need any advice, hints, anything you can give us to make our vacation a great one. We've also never been to an all inclusive resort. If you've been to the Grand Oasis Carribean, what exactly does the all inclusive include? Also, we haven't rented a car, is this something we should do, or is there enough entertainment within walking distance? Can you tell I'm nervous about this vacation?

Thanks for any and all advice!

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Oasis Caribbean Resort

We stayed at the Grand Oasis Carribean in February (4 adults and 3 kids).

It's attached to the Oasis Palm Beach and you get to use their restaurants and pool, in addition to the 1 Brazilian restaurant at the Carribean.

It's not close to the clubs, but there is a bus stop in front of the hotel and buses run every 5-10 minutes down to the Club scene (10 minute ride) and cost less than $1 a person. The buses are very clean and safer than renting a car because of the corrupt local police who shake down tourists in rental cars.

All inclusive means access to 2 extra upscale bars at the Carribean (decent top shelf) in addition to the dumpy bars at the Palm. The only beer is watered down Corona on tap.

Breakfast is great at the Brazilian restaurant, same for dinner there but same menu every night.

The Carribean is great for families , but somewhat boring for couples. (no decent nightlife, just corny shows).

Good Luck

WV
Level Contributor
45 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Oasis Caribbean Resort

Thanks Mark for the reply. My husband and I aren't into the nightlife scene. I guess some would call us boring...lol I guess I should have specified that in my orginial post. You answered my all inclusive part though, thanks. Does the hotel have tours available and are they worth taking? Just curious if we will find enough to keep us busy for seven days besides eating, the pool and the beach.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
1,776 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Oasis Caribbean Resort

The Grand Caribbean isd a great new hotel attached to the sister resort Oasis Palm Beach and you can use both facilities. The hotel is situated on the quiet side of the ocean, you will not have to worry about large waves. The shows at the Oasis Palm Beach are different every night, they start at 9:30 PM, the Mexican dance show is great, that same night thaey have some attractions and mexican food around the pool. The location of the resort is great it is not far from downtown or the other shopping plazas in the hotel zone. I would recommend to take a cab from the street not from the hotekl or it will cost you almost double. Walk to Kukulcan avenue and hail a cab, negotiater the price before you get in. Samples shopping at Mercado 28;70 pesos, Plaza Las Americas (great shopping)70 to 80 pesos, Plaza Kukulcan 80 pesos. You will have a greatr time do not worry...

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Oasis Caribbean Resort

You're welcome.

We didn't take any tours, but I know it's always cheaper if you book not by the hotel.

If you take the inside corridor from the Grand Carribean to the Oasis Palm, you'll see a guantlet of tour providers.

Please don't accept a time share session for any price, you'll get aggrevated and lose a whole day of your vacation.

If you book the Grand Carribean, make sure they give you the black bracelets and don't cheat you by putting you in the old building which is really Oasis Palm Beach. Tell your airport transfer driver to drop you off at the Grand Carribean Oasis which is just south of Oasis Palm Beach.

Don't pay for cabs, just cross the street and take the bus if you're going south. It's dirt cheap and the buses are empty since Grand Carribean is practically the first stop for the buses that run North-south on the hotel zone. When Returning to the hotel, don't cross the street and take the bus north.

You're allowed to go to the other Oasis resorts for free. We went to Grand Oasis Cancun twice by taking the bus, it's got a nicer beach with waves and we ate at their seafood and asian restaurants

(very good and no wait unlike the same ones at Oasis palm)

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
825 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Oasis Caribbean Resort

We just returned from the GOCR last night. We had a fantastic time. This was our third all inclusive. Previously stayed at RIU Palace and Iberostar resort. There were 11 of us all together and we never had to wait more than 5 minutes to get a table at any of the restaurants.

We spend most of your time at the beach. Hint, take your own blow up floaties with you. We took the "ring" type which IMO seemed better than the "mat" type. You will be glad to have them especially if you enjoy being in the ocean. We handed them off to other guests on our last day and they really appreciated them.

Make sure you bring lots of dollar bills and fives. I know tipping is included but we tipped about $200.00 (or more) while we were there. Example: $5.00 per day for maid service x two because we had 2 rooms. $3.00 per day x two for in room beverage service. $5.00 for breakfast, lunch and dinner (some times more). I gave a young girl that works at the hotel $10.00 because she worked so hard mopping up the floor in the lobby every day. We tipped some of the bartenders but not all (some were rude).

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
825 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Oasis Caribbean Resort

Forgot to tell you that men do NOT have to wear long pants in any of the restaurants during the day or at night. I took a pair each for my husband and two sons and they never wore them. That will save room in your suitcase for your shoes :) !!!!

WV
Level Contributor
45 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand Oasis Caribbean Resort

Thank you all for the great tips and advice. It is really going to make my vacation so much easier.

If anyone else has anything to share, please keep the info coming!

Meadow Lands...
Level Contributor
1,835 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grand Oasis Caribbean Resort

Having made only one visit to Cancun, I am by no means expert, but I will respond to your one concern about "something to do."

During our one- week stay, we made one outing: Chichinetza. We went on our fourth full day there and it took the whole day. Very hot but not to be missed. It cost us $130 (total for two) for the day which included lunch and an excellent guide.

Other than that, we quickly fell into a routine of morning walk, breakfast, reading and relaxing by the pool or the sea, lunch, reading and relaxing by the pool or the sea, to the room to shower and siesta and meeting for drinks at 5.

Friends from Indy whom we rarely see were staying at the same resort, and they added a lot of fun to the trip, but we also struck up lots of casual conversations with other guests. We always dressed up a bit for dinner and took our time enjoying the meal. Sometimes we caught a show afterwards, but many nights we were in our room relaxing/listening to music fairly early. At least two nights we went out for a swim around 10:00 P.M. and had the pool to ourselves.

We were both desperate for a vacation when we arrived and we left tanned, refreshed and completely in love with Cancun! Just give yourself up to it and quit being nervous. You'll have a great time.

9. Re: Grand Oasis Caribbean Resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2010, 05:19