We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

CUN Airport to Merida?

Meadow Lands...
Level Contributor
1,787 posts
158 reviews
Save Topic
CUN Airport to Merida?

Having read various threads on this topic regarding the use of the ADO bus (website obsolete) and the horror stories of renting a car and driving it to Merida, I would be most grateful for some current input. We can fly into Cancun fairly cheaply so what do you consider the best option for getting from Cancun Airport to Merida? Include costs and the very best way to pay, por favor.

Talk to me as if I am a ten year-old.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,804 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: CUN Airport to Merida?

First, the ADO website is not obsolete. I have used both the ADO owned site www.ticketbus.com.mx and the ADO site , www.ado.com.mx this morning and both work fine.

Dont know of any horror stores of renting a car and driving to Merida but I would prefer using the bus, which I often do. ADO offers frequent service with three different levels of service.

First, you would need to take the ADO bus from the Cancun airport to the ADO Cancun terminal. Run approx. every 30 minutes at a cost of

From Cancun , ADO offers service to the main ADO Came terminal and to the ADO Fiesta Americana terminal. Prices range from 256 pesos for first class to 418 pesos for top of the line UNO. You will find the schedules and prices on the websites.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,804 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: CUN Airport to Merida?

Oops, forgot the Airport to Cancun price--its 40 pesos.

Meadow Lands...
Level Contributor
1,787 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: CUN Airport to Merida?

Thanks Robert!

We are all excited about Merida.:)

When I go to the bus website and plug in my February dates I get this message:

"No existen corridas de salida ni de regreso"

Is it possible that the site is not (as yet) allowing reservations for next year?

I told you I was . . . uh . . . a bit limited :)

Once again, thanks!

Tulum, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,516 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: CUN Airport to Merida?

I can't think of a scenario when a reservation would be needed. I would think that the website probably isn't taking reservations that far in advance. I don't know if you are only interested in their top of the line service. But if you are open to whatever level, then just go and book the ticket when you get to the terminal. That's what I'd do for sure. I am not concerned about the level of service because Mexico's bus service is pretty darned good. I have ridden on their second class buses and found the ride to be fine. The only problem I have ever had on an ADO bus is that the first class seems to run it's a/c so cold. I would have a jacket, towel, something to throw over my shoulders if I was you. Be prepared and all that.

As far as driving to Merida, I have never had a bad experience. However it is a long ride and I think I'd opt for the bus and then decide on renting a car once I got there.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,860 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: CUN Airport to Merida?

We've driven to Merida many times from Cancun. It's always a bone of contention as no one likes to drive in Merida. Caveat - no one likes to drive in any large city anywhere else either. So far my son is the winner each time. We rode with hubby once and only once. Painful. The roads are very narrow and he made it harrowing. My son and I have gone the last three years for two days. We try to get there on Sunday to enjoy the fabulous activities in the square. We stay at El Castellano which has valet parking. If you are interested in El Castellano you can book it through the Royal Resorts website at www.royalresorts.com.

Cheryl

6. Re: CUN Airport to Merida?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2010, 06:19