We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best resort to snorkel right off beach

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Topic
best resort to snorkel right off beach

Which resort would be the best to snorkel from- not necessarily in Cancun but anywhere in the Yucatan area?

quebec,canada
Level Contributor
502 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best resort to snorkel right off beach

Hi the best BEST BEST beach is akumal in riviera maya. Check out akumal forums for more info. Ive dove the red sea and cozumel and many other spots.The snorkeling in akumal is better than diving in cozumel. my 2 kids also 7 and 10 snorkeled with me in fairly calm water to saw squid, stingray massive grouper, 4foot barracuda, many turtles from large to small and all the smaller marine life. not a,lot of coral but heaps of exciting stuff.If you go you will fall in love. I did. good luck. Their is a hotel right on that beach I think its called akumal beach its a 3 star but their are many in the area a,5 min cab ride from this amazing beach .I would stay at a 4-5 star and just travel to akumal. cheers wynne

Cancun
Level Contributor
5,555 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: best resort to snorkel right off beach

Cozumel has the best off shore snorkelling, calm waters and a great reef. I read the previous post and though I haven't been to Akumal, I sure am looking forward to checking it out!

There's a website called Travel Yucatan that lists many hotels and smaller lodgings up and down the coast. It's a good place to start for sure.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: best resort to snorkel right off beach

Thanks to both of you! I've been trying to decide which resort would have the best snorkeling, we stayed in Playa before and although you can snorkel, there's nothing really to see. Any suggestions on resorts?

Cancun
Level Contributor
5,555 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: best resort to snorkel right off beach

Hi puppa,

I would suggest maybe checking out the Cozumel forum here on Trip Advisor for resort advice, it's been a while since I lived there so I know things have changed. I've been really happy with a website called Travel Yucatan as well for finding resorts and hotels up and down the coast with information about each little village. If you are staying in the smaller places, there will be much less to see and do above ground, but a whole lot more underwater.

Cheers!

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: best resort to snorkel right off beach

thanks a bunch! Will check out that site!

Cancun
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: best resort to snorkel right off beach

a lot of friends have told me they love to snorkel by club med in cancun. they say its the best snorkeling in the hotel zone.

chicago
Level Contributor
466 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best resort to snorkel right off beach

Cancun Susan - your friends are right! we snorkeled at Club Med site twice and loved it...

You don't have to stay there to use their reef site, just go to Aqua world and join the speedboat tour (you'll go by Club Med, plus you get to ride a cool little speedboat, for about 45 usd a person :)

Outside of Cancun - we loved the Xpu-Ha - can't be beat... both ocean side and coves, good snorkeling there.

n

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: best resort to snorkel right off beach

Thanks... we were booked this summer for Xpu Ha and then

Emily hit the week before we were supposed to leave.

I went round and round with our travel company since we had paid a higher price to enjoy all the amenities of the palace resorts and wanted the "free tours" they had advertised as well as snorkeling right at XpuHa.. they came back with rooms at the Cozumel Palace, which I was happy with since we'd still have the snorkeling and access to the palace amenities etc.

Lo and behold when we got thru the airport we were shuttled to the Gala instead and told the travel company never got our reservations at Cozumel Palace confirmed. So we were stuck for the week at the Gala, which was nice but not what we paid for- no access to any other resort, had to pay for our tours all over again, and the snorkeling was poor.

I'm still going rounds with the travel agency to get at least the difference in the cost of resorts back... but would like to go back to the area again to snorkel somewhere good off the beach. And XpuHa doesn't look like it's opening again any time soon.

Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
215 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best resort to snorkel right off beach

We had a similar problem to yours. We left for Mexico a week after Hurricane Emily hit. We were supposed to stay at the Bracelo Maya Beach Resort in the Riviera Maya, but had to switch to another resort three days before we left because the Barcelo had damage. We ended up staying at the Costa Real in Cancun which did not seem near as nice as the Barcelo in terms of the beach and snorkeling. You may want to check at the Barcelo Maya (www.unofficial-barcelo-maya.com). Although I did not actually stay there, the beach is supposed to be 2 miles long, and many say the snorkeling is excellent. They have a pier which guests can snorkel from.

wisconsin
Level Contributor
323 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best resort to snorkel right off beach

Go on the Palaceresorts.com web site and look at the Cozumel Palace. My son stayed there in June. Beautiful resort wonderful rooms and snorkel right off the hotel property. Price is very good also. Is with in walking distance of down town. Fly into the Cozmel airport. You will not be disappointed