We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dreams alumni please help!

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Topic
Dreams alumni please help!

I'm leaving for Dreams in just a few weeks. The reviews were spotty a few months ago. Then, they were great for quite a while.

I thought the problems were fixed. All of a sudden, lately, they've been pretty bad. I'd like to know what the "alumni" crowd thinks of the recent reviews. I have trip insurance through my travel agency and could cancel Dreams and change resorts, if I really wanted to. It would be a pain, but I sounds like I may have made a mistake. What do you think I should do?

San Diego Calif
Level Contributor
2,702 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dreams alumni please help!

PittsburghT.,

Hello and welcome to the Cancun forum.

Ok, I'm not a "alumni"for dreams but I will tell you that when my wife and I were planing our first trip there, I read almost all the reviews on all the resorts.

There were specific things we were looking for in creature comforts and expectations.

First let me tell you cost was not a factor, so going anywhere any resort /Hotel at whatever cost, but had to deliver the "Needs"

Beach, clean no sea grass clean groomed sand, no rocks just plain 100% beauty

Beds, soft with pillow top, I hate hard beds and yes I have had my share of them How in Gods name can you get a restful sleep when the damn beds are like cement.

Service, exemplary when I ask for it and pay you better have it to me with a reasonable time.

In hotel restaurants, goes without saying great food and drinks

And not to stuffy, I like to have fun

There you go, JW is where we stayed and everything was perfect.

DT

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dreams alumni please help!

Thanks for the information Dontony.

I have some serious thinking to do.

new jersey
Level Contributor
303 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dreams alumni please help!

Don't listen to that 'junk'. Dreams is the 'ONLY' place to stay if you think you are special and deserve the 'BEST' If you are not 'SPECIAL', choose another place. Are you special?--I thought so...:)

Beverly Shores...
Level Contributor
3,642 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dreams alumni please help!

Dear PittsburghT:

I read the Dreams reviews everyday. The best indication if what they are saying cuts water is the number of people reading saying that the review was helpful. Just read the last few. They were written in a negative tone, but why? One was that everything was just great, food, service, room, drinks, etc.,etc.--BUT--we were at better. Ok, and how much did you pay for better??? Another, it rained. Sorry this is the rainy season. Another my 75yr old father found to many steps. Only 1step to the lobby and a ramp to the rest of the hotel with a staircase--which you do not have to use. Please read between the lines and judge the real reason. Also, one review rates Dreams low because they missed their plane home? I guess it is the fault of Dreams. We were out at the minute they told us and the bus was in front. Did not wait for anybody. Try 5 minutes--gone. What I am saying is that the reviews should be taken with a grain of salt, if everything is great, but, but, but. We stayed it was GREAT. Best AI ever and we have been going for 30 years+ or more. I would not change anything, go and enjoy, or pay $5 for a bottle of water and 18.95 for breakfast and 50-60 for din din, etc.

Just my comment. John R.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Dreams alumni please help!

Thanks blkspy1005 and rack,

I know that I sound like a neurotic fool-probably because I am.

I'm just kind of worked up because of the wedding and the fact that people are coming with us. I feel responsible because I picked the resort. If we were going alone, I wouldn't care as much. We've been to some great all-inclusives. So I'm hoping Dreams is just as good. I just want everything to be nice. I don't expect the Ritz. I don't expect 5 star dining. Whatever it may be, it doesn't have to be fancy, just good. I just don't want any major problems.

Thanks for helping me to feel better.

the wild west
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Dreams alumni please help!

Pittsburgh! I agree with everyone.....DON'T LISTEN to those bad reviews. They seem just ridiculous lately. (Guilty! I read them everyday too, even though we have been back for over 2 months now.)

You didn't make a mistake, Dreams is a beautiful resort, and when we go back to Cancun, we will stay there again without a doubt. I really do think it will be a wonderful place for your wedding and that you won't be disappointed. It seems like the recent reviews have been during a rainy spell and that people have been most unhappy with that. And, you know, since Dreams IS responsible for the weather conditions in all of Cancun, it's only fitting that people should blame them for the rain of course.....uh huh......sheesh! It's crazy. Don't pay any attention.

Many Congratulations on your wedding - and try not to worry. I think the minute you walk into the lobby you'll feel great about your decision to go there. I hope you have a wonderful wedding, and a fantastic time while you are there.

Oh, and let us all know how it went when you are back! :)

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Dreams alumni please help!

Thanks DenverDaisy and everyone else who responded,

I appreciate your help. I respect all of your opinions, especially those of you who have been to Dreams. I guess waiting 13 years to get married can make someone a little jumpy. Ha, Ha.

We'll stick with Dreams and I'll be sure to do a review when we get back. They have computers at the hotel-maybe I'll even do a mini update while I'm there. Thanks again for everyone's advice.

Blkspy1005-see you at the bar!

Myrtle Point, OR
Level Contributor
910 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Dreams alumni please help!

Hi

We stayed at the Dreams. Very nice laid back place. Very nice people. Our 11yr old loved the kids club and the girls that worked there. Great bar next to the beach. They serve upscale alcohol.

The food was very good. We only made it to 2 restraunts though. World Cafe for breakfast and Oceana for dinner. Had room service one night and that was very good too.

When it is rainy it is very slippery. However there is someone out clearing off the walks constantly.

There are a few stairs on the lagoon side but also a ramp.

Had a little trouble with housekeeping even though we tipped very generously ($10 per day).

new jersey
Level Contributor
303 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dreams alumni please help!

Hi guys---i read the reviews also, every day---missing your flight is a very good reason to blame 'THE HOTEL' duh??????????we will be there Nov. 10th-14th Can't wait........

new jersey
Level Contributor
303 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dreams alumni please help!

pittsburght see you there---i'll be the big guy with the yellow polo shirt---Yes, i have my attire already picked out, packed and ready to go :)