We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

OMG Wilma is headed right for Cancun

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
337 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
OMG Wilma is headed right for Cancun

I just was looking at the 5 day outlook for Wilma and it is headed right towards Cancun. Yesterday it was going more east headed towards Cuba, but evidently it has shifted. We are to arrive in Cancun on Thursday, looks like just in time for it to hit.

Arkadelphia...
Level Contributor
205 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: OMG Wilma is headed right for Cancun

we are also scheduled to leave on Thursday- What are you going to do?

MI
Level Contributor
215 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: OMG Wilma is headed right for Cancun

All this weather activity has made me a bit nervous as well. Almost wodernig if it is somewhat sensible to have a back up trip planned in case of an unexpected hit. I am not leaving unti Nov. 5th but this will be our ONLY time this year for vacation.

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
337 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: OMG Wilma is headed right for Cancun

What to do, what to do. I have no idea what to do now. I am thinking about calling my travel agent to see.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
362 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: OMG Wilma is headed right for Cancun

We leave Wednesday morning as well. Staying at the RPLA. We purchased the trip insurance through Apple Vacations but don't exactly know what it covers as of yet.

RI
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: OMG Wilma is headed right for Cancun

Leaving Saturday...Calling the travel agent..wait I am the travel agent!! Don't know what to do either...I, personally, am going to contact the tour operator (TNT) and see what their contingency plans are for charter flights. Sometimes they offer an alternate destination.

Good luck everybody.

K

Chicago, Illinois
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: OMG Wilma is headed right for Cancun

I am leaving Wednesday. If anyone hears any news from the people in Cancun, let us know. I am thinking of calling the resort where I am staying to see what they say. Will let you know. Let's pray it turns, and we all have a wonerful vacation!!

Arkadelphia...
Level Contributor
205 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: OMG Wilma is headed right for Cancun

we are in the same boat as you inflightgirl. When would we know if it turns? i know that is a dumb question but i mean do you think it will be before you go on wed. we leave on thursday at 10am

Colima, Mexico
Level Contributor
3,311 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: OMG Wilma is headed right for Cancun

MIAMI (Reuters) - The 2005 Atlantic hurricane season tied a 72-year-old record for busiest ever with the formation of Tropical Storm Wilma on Monday.

Wilma, which was drifting slowly through the northwestern Caribbean Sea, became the 21st tropical storm or hurricane of the season, matching the record set in 1933.

Forecasters said it could reach the Gulf of Mexico later in the week and could threaten the storm-ravaged U.S. Gulf Coast.

At 8 a.m. (1200 GMT), the center of Wilma was about 205 miles southeast of Grand Cayman, the largest island in the Cayman Islands, a British colony south of Cuba, the U.S. National Hurricane Center in Miami said.

It was moving south at about 5 mph (8 kph) but was expected to move erratically to the southwest or west in the next 24 hours, forecasters said. Storm alerts were in effect for the Cayman Islands.

Maximum sustained winds were 40 mph (64 kph) and forecasters said Wilma could become a hurricane in the next three days. The hurricane center's probable long-range track had Wilma crossing the tip of Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula and emerging into the gulf late on Friday or early on Saturday.

Level Contributor
313 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: OMG Wilma is headed right for Cancun

I'm leaving Chicago Wednesday and returning Saturday. The vacation was booked through American Airliens Vacations. We will lose 100% if we cancel and cannot make any changes. We have to wait until the airlines decides for us.

Level Contributor
313 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: OMG Wilma is headed right for Cancun

Would "they" (aka the man) really send us on our trips knowing that we will be there during a tropical storm/hurricane?

That doesn't sound right.