We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If you're considering cancelling out your vacation remember...

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
2,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
If you're considering cancelling out your vacation remember...

As much as giving to a charity that contributes to hurricane relief and such is a wonderful thing to do, remember that nothing helps a destitute man more than having a job to go to.

Our patronage is important to the recovery and stabilization of the region. Small family run hotels and restaurants in particular take a big hit as well as the working man employed by a resort that shuts down or lays off.

Reschedule if you can or wait and see what damage is done and consider your options before abandoning your vacation in The Yucatan. Cancelling may cost someone several weeks or months salary and money they need to support their home.

Just consider this, please and thank you.

Limbo
Level Contributor
2,801 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: If you're considering cancelling out your vacation remember...

And if you can reschedule, try to do so for December. The weather (in my opinion) is delicious and it even smells like fall a bit! November can be icky (again, IMHO) and may be too soon after Wilma.

State of Disarray
Level Contributor
3,805 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: If you're considering cancelling out your vacation remember...

pj.......that's so true. I am supposed to go 12/8 - 12/15. Some places along the coast had lots of damage last time. The rebuilding & recovery times of some places was phenominal. The workers in the Yucatan are very good at what they do & are very proud of their work, as they should be.

Miami
Level Contributor
406 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: If you're considering cancelling out your vacation remember...

Well said, Pjfalcon. I absolutely agree.

Burlington, ON
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: If you're considering cancelling out your vacation remember...

You are so right!

My husband called TA today, she wanted to see us Tuesday but things are so busy things are being booked up other places, she suggested we come in Monday instead. (TA is closed on sunday) so we will decide then where & when we are going.

Miami
Level Contributor
406 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: If you're considering cancelling out your vacation remember...

Well said, Pjfalcon. I absolutely agree.

San Jose
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: If you're considering cancelling out your vacation remember...

yes i agree. rescheduling and going back to thisn region will be godsend for the locals whose liveihood and wages depends on tourism. Pls consider rescheduling anfd going back to this region later

Colima, Mexico
Level Contributor
3,311 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: If you're considering cancelling out your vacation remember...

Gracias PJ

That is exactly the way people of Cancun are thinking right now.

How long till I get back to work? and be able to feed the family..

At this point EVERY Dollar will count...

irvine, ca
Level Contributor
259 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: If you're considering cancelling out your vacation remember...

bump, well said and so true.

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,834 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: If you're considering cancelling out your vacation remember...

pjfalcon - Thanks for bringing that up. That's an excellent point. Cancun's economy would be crippled if the tourists stayed away for very long in the aftermath of the hurricane.

North Texas
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: If you're considering cancelling out your vacation remember...

I am scheduled to go on the 27th-next Thursday. If the planes are flying and the hotel is standing and open-I plan on going. I'm sure I won't make a final decistion until Monday or even Tuesday-but right now, I still want to go! I intend to smile and be a gracious guest and who knows-I just may do all my Christmas shopping while I'm there!!