We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel advise - Hilton, Hyatt, Le Meridien, old Westin

brookline...
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hotel advise - Hilton, Hyatt, Le Meridien, old Westin

Hi,

My family (me+wife+3y son) are planning to travel cancun this December. We are trying to avoid AI hotel since we are planning some activities (X-H, CHi, X-C).

I have status with all of these hotels (hilton gold, hyatt platinum,starwood platinum). Our main concern is saving money and having a lot of fun. Among these hotels, Hyatt seems the cheapest but I believe they don't have beach. Le Meridien seems pretty nice but a litttle bit high end. Do anybody can give me there insights?

Thanks!!!!!

cstoutMn
Level Contributor
444 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel advise - Hilton, Hyatt, Le Meridien, old Westin

Hello,

I can only speak to the Hilton,where we have gone every year since 1999 minus the hurricane year( Ixtapa). The pools there are fantastic, they have a zero entrance area on one side lots of kids there with families. The beach is huge one of the largest in Cancun. That said the last few years it has been rocky like many on this side but it is next to the a wide open section great for walks.9some posters have said the beaches are better this year and they are doing a major restoration)I will say there are some pretty good deals right now to the Hilton.( Yahoo travel) I think a lot of families choose the Villas they are little bigger units.If you have any questions let us know we are going the first week of Jan.Also if it is important they do have a Kids Club there?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
155 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel advise - Hilton, Hyatt, Le Meridien, old Westin

We stayed at the Hilton in the villas in Sept and it was fantastic. I posted a review of the hotel (you can find it under the Hilton Cancun reviews). The hotel is beautiful and the service is out of this world. Totally worth the money. The beach is beautiful although there may not be many times you can actually get in the ocean as the water is rough this time of year. The pools more than make up for it and there are several pools that will be perfect for the little one!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
155 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel advise - Hilton, Hyatt, Le Meridien, old Westin

We stayed at the Hilton in the villas in Sept and it was fantastic. I posted a review of the hotel (you can find it under the Hilton Cancun reviews). The hotel is beautiful and the service is out of this world. Totally worth the money. The beach is beautiful although there may not be many times you can actually get in the ocean as the water is rough this time of year. The pools more than make up for it and there are several pools that will be perfect for the little one!

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel advise - Hilton, Hyatt, Le Meridien, old Westin

How about the "new" Westin Lagunamar? Of the others, I would pick the Le Meridien. The Hyatt has a beach.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,882 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel advise - Hilton, Hyatt, Le Meridien, old Westin

I've only stayed at the Hilton on your list and like it a lot. Thea beach was rocky but gorgeous, the pool amazing, the happy hour with live music in the bar wonderful and the rooms (Deluxe at least) were very nice.

I've wanted to stay at LeMeridien for a long time. If you do choose it, please post a review.

I'm not a fan of the Westin. It's probably a bias because I was unimpressed with the Westin Resort and Spa (not the Lagunamar). I haven't stayed at the Hyatt but I ate at their Blue Bayou restaurant a few years ago. Excellent food, gorgeous decor and great live jazz.

Cheryl

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,251 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel advise - Hilton, Hyatt, Le Meridien, old Westin

The old Westin is at the far southern end of the hotel strip - excellent beach and if you walk maybe 11 yards (meters) south you will be in front of the Club Med - the only resort on that side that has calm ocean waters suitable for kids to swim in. The last stop of the regular public bus is in front of that hotel - it is not central but is not real hard to get downtown by bus. I don't recall that there are any restaurants nearby. I've never stayed there (we stayed at the Club Med - pricy but worth it for families), but have read that it is worth paying the extra for the better rooms with I think breakfast included. The Hilton is rated much higher and has much better pools but a worse beach (and is probably well more expensive).

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,251 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel advise - Hilton, Hyatt, Le Meridien, old Westin

Oops - that should have read 100 meters, not 11. Tom

brookline...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel advise - Hilton, Hyatt, Le Meridien, old Westin

wow thanks for all the awesome reply.

please vote for me

because I have status with these hotel,

Hilton is around 70$ and I am sure they will upgrade me to villa which include breakfast and happy hours.

Hyatt is 90$ for ocean front, breakfast, happy hours, internet.

LM is 140$, probably breakfast, happy hours

Westin 95$, probably breakfast, happy hours.

what's your opinion?

San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
2,231 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel advise - Hilton, Hyatt, Le Meridien, old Westin

Of those take the "old Westin" It has a good beach and if you are flagged you can move down a few yards & be @ Club Med's Beach. It is protected from the big waves and is usually green flagged, when others are red or yellow.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,251 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel advise - Hilton, Hyatt, Le Meridien, old Westin

If a swimable beach is a top priority, go to the old Westin. Otherwise, the Hilton is probably all around a better resort, as is the Meridian. I've read mixed reviews of the Hyatt - never been there myself - but it would be at the bottom of my own list.