We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vacation turned mission trip? Anybody with me?

Level Contributor
685 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Vacation turned mission trip? Anybody with me?

I just had a revelation! If you knew me, you would understand why that is so unlike me! lol. I just came to the conclusion that we will go to Cancun regardless of what happens. I have been wanting to go on a mission trip for quite awhile now and this might very well be it.

What a great thing to do, to be able to help those in such desperate need! It will be really good for our children too. We take so much for granted and this will be a real eye opener for us all.

From what I know of these people, they will greet us with open arms and will want to know what they can do for us. This time, we will want to know....what we can do for them!

Anybody with me?

canada
Level Contributor
447 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Vacation turned mission trip? Anybody with me?

Good idea! Was going November 13th anyways!

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
640 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vacation turned mission trip? Anybody with me?

Jblair,

I had the same thought earlier...it is a distinct possibility! Let's keep talking about this.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
640 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vacation turned mission trip? Anybody with me?

I'll bet we could all get some kind of local sponsorship and/or donations.

Level Contributor
685 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vacation turned mission trip? Anybody with me?

Thanks guys! I am actually very excited about this opportunity!!! We aren't going until 12/31/05 but they are going to need help for a long, long time.

It will be great for our family to work as a team on this. I wonder if I could get the airline to authorize additional luggage or cargo for supplies, clothing, etc. I am going to make this my new mission in life.

ohio
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Vacation turned mission trip? Anybody with me?

What a kind gesture. I just hope those that want to can get in the country since the airport may be severely damaged and you may not have a place to stay. However, I am sure if that's what you want to do, God will make it happen!

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
640 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vacation turned mission trip? Anybody with me?

We are going 11/24. J, could you please pass any ideas/contacts you have and I will do the same? My e-mail is jwlukes@yahoo.com

I'm going to start contacting local media maybe to generate some interest. Anyone else up for it? My husband will die when I share my plans with him (he's not quite as altruistic as I am).

Level Contributor
685 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vacation turned mission trip? Anybody with me?

I used to be in the travel industry and one of my clients had an orphanage in Croatia. I used to get authorization to get all sorts of supplies, etc., shipped as cargo for a minimal amount, if not free.

That was years ago and I know the industry has changed immensely. Once things settle down and we see just exactly what the situation is, we can begin networking. We all have contacts in different areas, just think what we might be able to accomplish?

By the way, please be kind to your travel agent. It is a very difficult job and many times, a thankless one. This is out of their control just as much as it is out of ours. A little kindness and understanding goes a long way.

denver colorado
Level Contributor
136 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Vacation turned mission trip? Anybody with me?

Try Frontier Airlines...they are Big into their Mexico routes!

Level Contributor
685 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vacation turned mission trip? Anybody with me?

Luker-I will make note of your email address. My husband is in route to Chicago right now and knows nothing of my revelation, not that it will shock him in the least! lol. Some times we just have to take the bulls by the horn, right?

I see you are in St. Louis. We just moved from Kansas City to Omaha and have been here less than 3 months, only to find out that we won't be staying. Don't know where we will end up, but we are really relying on our faith.

My hurricane efforts will probably begin after things have calmed down a bit and I find out which direction this revelation of mine is going to take.

We are booked to stay at the Royal Sands and CancunCanuck's husband works there, so she will be able to tell us exactly what the damage is. I pray that everyone is safe!

denver colorado
Level Contributor
136 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Vacation turned mission trip? Anybody with me?

We will be at the Royal Sands starting 11/26...would love to meet CC's husband!