We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

no passport/name change- is this a problem?

Des Moines, Ia
Level Contributor
226 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
no passport/name change- is this a problem?

I am so much more aware of the devastation caused by natural disasters now that I feel so connected to a place and the people. As with everyone else, my thoughts and prayers are with all down there during Wilma.

At the risk of sounding crass to ask this question at this time... I was planning not to get a passport as we have birth certificates and drivers licenses. BUT my husband legally changes his name. I do have the name change document to take with us. Will that be enough or should we go ahead and get him a passport? We are now only 3 weeks out, that is if we can still go. I, like others, feel that they need our money now more than ever. So we still plan to go unless we are told to cancel.

Level Contributor
685 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: no passport/name change- is this a problem?

stampinkathy-That's a good one. I would go ahead and get the passort. They are good now for 10 years, so it will be worth it. A passport is always a good thing to have. The extra $ you spend will be well worth not having to worry about it! Why chance it?

Des Moines, Ia
Level Contributor
226 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: no passport/name change- is this a problem?

bump

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
6,636 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: no passport/name change- is this a problem?

Not to be mean, but do you honestly think there is going to be a place to stay in 3 weeks? Did you read Dangers post? 30 feet of water expected?

Crown Point, Indiana
Level Contributor
95 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: no passport/name change- is this a problem?

CNN's reporter in Cancun just reported from JW Marriott and says the building is structurally sound, some windows blown out with some water damage inside...she is going to make her way (or try) down the hotel zone/Kukulcan Blvd and report of her findings later this morning. If she can look out her window and say she is going to try to make it down the street, I doubt if there is 30 feet of water there.

Des Moines, Ia
Level Contributor
226 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: no passport/name change- is this a problem?

Our trip actually is to Puerto Adventuras, but I posed my question in the Cancun forum as there is so much more activity, therefore answers there. And as I said before I think they need our money, so I don't intend to jump ship unless someone cancels on us.