We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help-did anyone just see TWC?

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lancaster...
Level Contributor
299 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Help-did anyone just see TWC?

Hello, i was wondering if anyone caught the Weather Channel at about 11:15 tonight(Saturday)- there was footage from what I thought to be the Hotel zone, but I am not sure because I only caught the tail end of it. The person was driving in a car passing a bunch of resorts to his right.... structurally they appeared to look OK, but it was too far away to tell. I noticed some windows out and a roof blown off of something that looked like a Tiki hut sort of thing in the distance. I have never been to Cancun so I don't know where this was taken. But if it was the Hotel zone then it didn't look nearly as bad as I was imagining with how long the storm was there. Obviously there was no way to tell how much damage internally these hotels sustained, but from the outside it didn't look like a scene from Biloxi when Katrina hit. This particular road was not flooded, and they were driving with some speed so the roads were passable. There were palm trees uprooted everywhere and that apparently is a big deal because their root system is very strong.

Can anyone verify this?

Level Contributor
685 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help-did anyone just see TWC?

Missphilly-I too saw that clip. It was a pyramid shaped hotel and structurally it looked fine, but it was in the distance. Who knows what the side that faces the ocean looks like. We will just have to sit tight and wait for the reports to come in.

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
299 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help-did anyone just see TWC?

yes, thats the same clip... I saw the pyramid hotel too.

I guess waiting is something we all are having a hard time doing because this has been such a long 3 days for everyone. I think we all just want some type of reassurance even if it is in small things like only one side of a hotel looking OK.... Maybe that means that other structures like homes and businesses further inland are going to be OK too?

Sort of grasping at straws...

take care and have a good night... the sun will come out soon!

Level Contributor
685 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help-did anyone just see TWC?

MissPhilly-I too was excited when I saw that clip! It was like a ray of sunshine to see that building standing.

Good night and God Bless!

In a Little Cafe...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
10,791 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help-did anyone just see TWC?

The waters have receded in certain areas as I've

stated before from the tidal and wave surge from

earlier. The hotel being shown was the Melia Hotel,

a visual landmark and masterpiece of design and

beauty. The Melia has sustained major damage, most

of its main atrium and canopy reported as

destroyed thus far. At one point the Kukulkan Blvd

side of the Melia was reported flooded over the road

to the lagoon. Again, these waters have obviously

receded in the "southern" hotel zone to an extent.

However, reports remain that vast areas of Cancun

are flooded in the northern hotel zone and in the

downtown districts where the locals all live.

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
299 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help-did anyone just see TWC?

Wow Dangers, sorry to hear that. I have to re-read your updates because it seems like people are bumping your posts up with old info and I get confused...

By the way, Christmas seems like a fair estimate of when they might be up and running. Although with Katrina they were predicting electricity to be restored later than it really was, draining of the floodwaters to happen later than it did, and people not to be let back into New Orleans for months, and all of that happened earlier than predicted. Maybe it was because they had more help cleaning up than Mexico might have for the same type of disaster. Just another one of my late night ramblings....