Sorry if people already know this info, but I just read it and decided to pass it on:
Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:17 am
I spoke with ISCO, the US office of Royal Resorts at 11:30 ET today. They had just received a bulletin from the CEO with this information.
1) Trucks with food, water and supplies were dispatched from Royal Resorts' Merida office last night at 5PM and arrived no later than 8:30PM at shelters housing Royal Resorts guests that were short on these items.
All 2900 Royal Resorts guests that were evacuated have been accounted for.
2) All Royal Resorts suffered extensive damage and will be closed a minimum of two weeks.
3) The Cancun Airport is extensively damaged and will not re-open in the near future.
4) Royal Resorts is planning to pick up all 2900 from the shelters as soon as they can. If possible, they will be returned to their resort to pick up their belongings. They are not 100% sure this is possible because all of the damage to the resorts.
5) All guests will be bused to Merida, about 3 hours away. Royal Resorts owns a hotel here called the El Castellano. The plan is to take everyone here, give them a chance to shower, clean up and get organized before they return to the U.S.
5) There is still no timeline for pickup from the shelters or busing to Merida. I will check back with the ISCO office today, however they are now under a hurricane warning at their office in south Florida and may have to shut down at 2PM this afternoon and may be closed tomorrow. If so, they are working on a plan to re-route their calls.
Kevin: Will the airlines be allowed to re-route their flights and land in Merida to pick up the people??
If I get any more info, I will post.