We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

was planning on leaving for cancun nov 11 but i dont think...

chicago, IL
Level Contributor
735 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
was planning on leaving for cancun nov 11 but i dont think...

we were leaving nov11th to stay at the cancun palace and from what i have been reading is that the jw marriot has major damage and also le meridian , well guess what is in between those two hotels .... yep the cancun palace .

has anyone been to the Vallarta Palace? thinking of changing to this palace. any information on this palace resort would be appreciated.

This whole hurricane thing has just made me sick , i am so thankfull to be sitting here in my new home safe and dry . I will not take anything for granted any more.

god bless all in cancun

oceangirl ( ronda)

Kalamazoo, MI
Level Contributor
483 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: was planning on leaving for cancun nov 11 but i dont think...

ocean girl -

search for it on this forum - we were just talking about it Thursday or Friday and there were some good reviews. I think if I were you I'd try to switch...

chicago, IL
Level Contributor
735 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: was planning on leaving for cancun nov 11 but i dont think...

thanks, it looks really nice but it is not cancun :(

I fell in love with cancun when we were there in march , uhhh this just makes me sick.

have you or anyone been to the Vallarta Palace?

how is the beach ? Do they have that beautiful white sand and big waves like cancun?

Oh how i miss cancun :(

Grand Rapids, Mi
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: was planning on leaving for cancun nov 11 but i dont think...

OG,

My wife and I also have plans to leave on the 11th. I feel your pain. We were scheduled to go to Riu Cancun.

Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: was planning on leaving for cancun nov 11 but i dont think...

We are hoping to still go to Cancun but in January it looks like before they will be ready for people.

Valencia, California
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: was planning on leaving for cancun nov 11 but i dont think...

We are scheduled to go to the Royal Sands on November 12th. Any word how they came through Hurricane Wilma? We've been going there for years and this just breaks my heart. Someone also mentioned Puerta Villarta to us today (but with no reference to a facility). I just can't imagine going somewhere else ...

Valencia, California
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: was planning on leaving for cancun nov 11 but i dont think...

We are scheduled to go to the Royal Sands on November 12th. Any word how they came through Hurricane Wilma? We've been going there for years and this just breaks my heart. Someone also mentioned Puerta Villarta to us today (but with no reference to a facility). I just can't imagine going somewhere else ...

denver colorado
Level Contributor
136 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: was planning on leaving for cancun nov 11 but i dont think...

Posted on: 12:33 pm, today Report inappropriate post

Reposted from the Airport Threads:

Regarding Royal Resorts:

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Below is from CancuTravelOnline and recently posted

there regarding the "Royal Resorts".

---------------------------------------------------------------

spoke with ISCO, the US office of Royal Resorts at 11:30 ET today. They had just received a bulletin from the CEO with this information.

1) Trucks with food, water and supplies were dispatched from Royal Resorts' Merida office last night at 5PM and arrived no later than 8:30PM at shelters housing Royal Resorts guests that were short on these items.

All 2900 Royal Resorts guests that were evacuated have been accounted for.

2) All Royal Resorts suffered extensive damage and will be closed a minimum of two weeks.

3) The Cancun Airport is extensively damaged and will not re-open in the near future.

4) Royal Resorts is planning to pick up all 2900 from the shelters as soon as they can. If possible, they will be returned to their resort to pick up their belongings. They are not 100% sure this is possible because all of the damage to the resorts.

5) All guests will be bused to Merida, about 3 hours away. Royal Resorts owns a hotel here called the El Castellano. The plan is to take everyone here, give them a chance to shower, clean up and get organized before they return to the U.S.

6) There is still no timeline for pickup from the shelters or busing to Merida. I will check back with the ISCO office today, however they are now under a hurricane warning at their office in south Florida and may have to shut down at 2PM this afternoon and may be closed tomorrow. If so, they are working on a plan to re-route their calls.

Valencia, California
9 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: was planning on leaving for cancun nov 11 but i dont think...

Cancunoldies ~ thank you so much for this information! Would really appreciate hearing more as news develops. "...a minimum of two weeks ..." still gives me a ray of hope. I would hate to reschedule airline reservations and vacation plans if there is still a chance the Royal Sands will be ready for guests by November 12th!

Canton, GA
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: was planning on leaving for cancun nov 11 but i dont think...

Puerto Vallarta is no way close to Cancun beaches....but then Cancun beaches are gone now. PV is more gold and course sand, and water is not close to the same tourquise blue/green.

Go to cancuntravelonline.com and read all the reviews about Royal Sands, Royal Caribbean etc. My sister is at Royal Sands as we speak, and she said it is a disaster. She said local Royal workers say 4 to 6 weeks before they can HOPE to have it all repaired, and they obviously can do nothing about the beach recovery. That will probably take a year. I have owned down there at the Royal Resorts for 20 years, and in 1988 it took a couple of years for all the sand to come back. I am booked for Thanksgiving week, and guess we will need to cancel. I have another trip down to Royal Caribbean in July, so I hope by then we can enjoy that lovely paradise. Just wish there was something more than a few hundred dollars I can send to help. They are lovely people, and tourism is their livelyhood.

Captain Cooks is collapsed, Senior Frogs is standing but bearly has walls. Lorenzillos is gone (only pier it sat on is there). La Isla shopping center looks like a bomb went off. Plaza Caracol and Plaza Flamingo are ruins. If resorts open sooner than planned, there still may not be anyplace to go out to shop or eat which we LOVE to do in Cancun.

I will have pictures of Royal Resorts next weeek (when my sister finally gets home). I can send you copies if you e-mail me at lbeardslee@ffmtg.com. Good luck to all. God bless.

Canton, GA
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: was planning on leaving for cancun nov 11 but i dont think...

Oops...lost my mind...email is lbeardslee@ffmtg.net not com