We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu Cancun vs The Sun Palace in January

Cleveland, Ohio
3 posts
Save Topic
Riu Cancun vs The Sun Palace in January

OK, I've FINALLY narrowed it down to these 2 hotels and I just can't decide. We really want a fun party atmosphere but read a couple bad reviews on the Riu concerning kids, dirty diapers and hard beds. We are not too picky but if it's worth the $300-$400 extra dollars we are willing to pay. We have never been to Cancun and don't get away from the kids too often. Anybody been to either recently that can testify to the cleanliness & wether or not there are wandering kids at the Riu. I like the location of this one better so those are the only things I'm really concerned about. PLEASE HELP!!!

buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
236 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riu Cancun vs The Sun Palace in January

I've stayed at both. There is no comparison - The Sun is 100x better.

Sun:

no kids. food MUCH better. entire place spotlessly clean. tours included if you are into that. Service exceptional. Rooms sleek and swanky. Great beach (for cancun). Use of all other palace resorts (except leblanc). Only thing is, it's quiet at night, but you can head to the other palace resorts if you want, or go out which is what we did.

Riu Cancun:

many kids and families. Food very blah. hotel very dated, not nearly as clean as the sun, and the rooms smell very bad (at least the 3 rooms I saw). Great beach area and nice pools. You can head over to the riu caribe if you want but not the rpla. Livelier than the sun during the day with pool games, etc... Not sure about at night cuz we went out. close to the party district which is great if that's what you want (we didn't), but can be bad if that's NOT what you want, because it will attract more young drunks.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
714 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Riu Cancun vs The Sun Palace in January

LazyLane4 - Have you considered RIU Palace Las Americas? It's right next door to the RIU Cancun. RPLA is more on par with the Sun Palace (My opinion.. Sun Palace is far superior) - but has comparable/similar amenities. RPLA is more of a party place, although less sedate than RIU Cancun. Plus, if you stay at RPLA... you can use the facilities/eat/party at the RIU Cancun. Sun Palace is wonderful.. but couples only .. when we were there.. fun atmosphere at activity pool.. but nothing like the RPLA action. Good luck!

KMK83
Level Contributor
605 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riu Cancun vs The Sun Palace in January

Have heard people complain about the Riu Cancun in the winter months. Something about the pool and beach area being in the shadow of the building most of the day/not enough sun. You might want to look into that. I've never been to either resort.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
14,298 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Riu Cancun vs The Sun Palace in January

I've also done both and agree that the two are just completely different resorts. Sun Palace is "better" without a doubt, but it's quiet, relaxing, and romantic. No party atmosphere.

I'd suggest you look at the Sun Palace and maybe the Cancun palace. Cancun gets you the great amenities of the Palace resorts, but also a fun, party (not wild) atmosphere around the pool and at night in the lobby bar. We loved the Cancun Palace because it was the perfect mix of fun and luxury for us. You can visit any of the Palace resorts when staying at one, another bonus.

Riu Palace is also a high contender. Riu Cancun is good, but just not in the same class as the Sun Palace. Riu Palace would certianly fit the bill. It's higher class, but fun and you can use the Riu Cancun next door. RPLA will always remain a favorite of ours.

Cleveland, Ohio
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Riu Cancun vs The Sun Palace in January

Thank you all for your help! We ended up going with the RPLA 1/7-1/10 and can't wait! We will have to try Sun Palace one time but for our first time we want to have the most fun in the sun! Happy travels:)

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
14,298 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Riu Cancun vs The Sun Palace in January

You won't be disappointed. Good choice.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
714 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Riu Cancun vs The Sun Palace in January

Voting with ZsaZsa, too -- you'll love it -- have a great trip!

8. Re: Riu Cancun vs The Sun Palace in January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2010, 05:19