We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If not Cancun then where?

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa
8 posts
Save Topic
If not Cancun then where?

For those us that have trips booked to Cancun either this coming weekend or the weekend after, it appears as though there's no hope in making it down to Cancun.

I personally and probably the same as many others do not want to reschedule my trip. I have the time off from work whether I go away or not and I want to spend it on the beach!!!

Just wondering if someone can recommend some good alternate destinations that haven't been affected or at least haven't been affected so drasticly by Hurricane Wilma.

Any suggestions/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,714 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: If not Cancun then where?

You are in the position of "using or losing" so you have to make a decision soon. If your trip is this weekend then waiting 2-3 days for info may not work for you.

Cabo San Lucas in Baja Ca is interesting but the water is not as warm. Some folks like the resorts on the western mainland like Mazatlan. I have never been there. Or there are many other caribbean islands. Bonaire may have escaped damage from Wilma.

San Diego Calif
Level Contributor
2,702 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: If not Cancun then where?

Sergio77

Cabo is the place, beautifully water, great seafood, party places. ride horse back on the beach or a Quad runner fun..Fishing is excellent.

DT

Kalamazoo, MI
Level Contributor
483 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: If not Cancun then where?

Well - if you want to stay in Mexico - acapulco, cabo san lucas, mazatlan, ixtapa, peurto vallarta... you have a lot of options.

I really enjoyed Acapulco about 15 years ago - but there isn't much to do there besides "beach" - it was a long trip for any ruins...

Away from the beach - Mexico City was a great trip. We did side trips to a lot of pyramids and saw a lot of great things there in the city...

Andover...
Level Contributor
171 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: If not Cancun then where?

Hi Sergio- If you want to stay in Mexico, the others have all made some great suggestions. I also loved St. Lucia and St. Thomas when I was there. A good way to tell which islands were hit and which are not so bad is to look and see where the cruise ships have changed their itineraries to. Many have changed and are now going to Grand Cayman, so perhaps that would be a good option too.

I'm sure wherever you end up will be warmer & beachier than Ottawa!!! :)

~jessica~

california
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: If not Cancun then where?

I'm in the same boat... in my opinion, there's no place like Cancun :-( Maybe I'm too inflexable??? I'm just devestated all around by this. My first "2nd choice" was Jamaica - but looks like the weather there won't be too good. So I am in the Cabo research mode - took me 6 months of agonizing to decide on where in Cancun (and I've been there before) and I have today to figure out the alternative (AND, I'm in court half the day!) The anger, frustration and worry for the people in Cancun and what they are goinbg through is overwhelming. If anyone has great ideas for us in Cabo, please let me know - anything will help... hotels places to go things to do... thanks so much in advance

New Jersey
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: If not Cancun then where?

One of my favorite islands is Barbados. I spent my honeymoon there and am returning in December. A bit different than Mexico, but the island is amazing

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
110 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: If not Cancun then where?

I agree with Barbados, it's a beautiful island, and I have been there 4 times in the past 3 years! We wanted a change and have Mexico on the brain. We are also currently researching Cabo, but it may get jammed due to Wilman cancellations.

Parker, Colorado
Level Contributor
44 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: If not Cancun then where?

We were scheduled for Cancun this Wednesday. We had to make a decision this weekend. After researching several locations in Mexico, we decided on Mazatlan. Haven't been there before. Wanted a new experience. It is also very reasonably priced.

Good Luck!

Vancouver, British...
Level Contributor
573 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: If not Cancun then where?

well depending on the hurricane damage in other areas too, i mean i would highly recommend turks and caicos islands its the most beautiful place that i have been,

then there is the dominican republic but alpha the tropical storm just went by there and cuba is pretty great but again not sure of the damages there.

maybe more south like aruba or maybe even costa rica... lots of places to go just have to look into it more.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,714 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: If not Cancun then where?

I was thinking of the Caymans when I mentioned Bonaire so since I said Bonaire,I will add the nearby islands of Aruba and Curacao. A google search will get you plenty of info.