We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Royal in Cancun versus the Sun Palace

North Carolina USA
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
The Royal in Cancun versus the Sun Palace

The Royal in Cancun versus the Sun Palace. For a 4 night stay, the Royal is about $100 less. Looks fantastic. The kids (mid 20s) what to stay at the Sun Palace, but ……

Boardman, Ohio
Level Contributor
7,414 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Royal in Cancun versus the Sun Palace

Tell them the truth...The Royal is MUCH, MUCH closer to all the bars and clubs....that outa shut em up.

Southborough...
Level Contributor
374 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Royal in Cancun versus the Sun Palace

hmmm...whose paying?!!!

Lambertville, MI
Level Contributor
434 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Royal in Cancun versus the Sun Palace

...and..at the Royal...they can go next door for the "younger" group and party during the day..my kids love the Gran Caribe (19 and 22)

Boardman, Ohio
Level Contributor
7,414 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Royal in Cancun versus the Sun Palace

Uh, btw. Isn't Sun Palace Couples only?

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,282 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Royal in Cancun versus the Sun Palace

Sun is couples only but they do allow non-traditional "couples" if they are over 18. However, max occupancy per room is 2 persons unless you have a presidential suite at about twice the cost of a single room and they are not that easy to come by.

Nortonville Kansas
Level Contributor
66 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Royal in Cancun versus the Sun Palace

This is just my opinion... The Royal's food is better. There are no reservations required at dinner and some of the Ala Cartes are open for lunch. It is closer to the malls and clubs. Pat OBrians is right across the street. My final plug... THE ROYAL BEDS... The beds are SUPER SOFT with the most wonderful linens. The bed alone is worth going to the hotel for.

North Carolina USA
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Royal in Cancun versus the Sun Palace

Sorry, I use the terms kids loosely. It is my son and his wife. We will have two rooms. They are paying their own way. Both places are AI, so closer to the bars is not a sell for them. Which has a better beach?? Which has nicer rooms??

Boardman, Ohio
Level Contributor
7,414 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Royal in Cancun versus the Sun Palace

Closer to the bars is not a sell for them?

The resorts in Cancun, including AI's are not like the big mega resorts in the Riviera Maya, Punta Cana, Jamaica, ect. Most do not have a lively nightlife and the bars close between 10p.m. and Midnight. If they want a nightlife, they will have to go out to the bars and clubs. Don't get me wrong, some have small nightclubs and such, but not many.

I would go with the Royal.

Nortonville Kansas
Level Contributor
66 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Royal in Cancun versus the Sun Palace

Right now... Sun has the better beach. However, the Beach is being restored as we speak. The Royal has better rooms and MUCH better beds.

North Carolina USA
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Royal in Cancun versus the Sun Palace

Are there any Sun Palace fans who what to put in a good word?? So far everyone says Royal over Sun!!