We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic

Hi -

When travelling in other parts of Mexico, we have hired pangas (small boats with drivers) to take us where we want to go at a fraction of the prices quoted by our hotels. We usually walked up to a stand at the marina and could hire, licensed boats. We loved this and saved quite a bit.

Does abyone do this in Cancun, or surrounds? I believe that the stands at the marina were run by the local union. There were others trying to get our business, but we always went through the union.

We are pretty adventurous and detest being run around on someone else's schedule. It looks like there is so much great stuff to do in the area - I am really hesitant to book tours.In addition, we will probably rent a car.

Mormon Encounter LDS Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Swim with Dolphins, Scuba & Snorkeling
Special Mayan Tours
Cultural Tours, Archaeology Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Multi-day Tours
Cancun With Me
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Private Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Historical & Heritage Tours
Helaman Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Boardman, Ohio
Level Contributor
7,414 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pangas?

Being a Union Officer, I thank you for only going through the Union.

I have never seen what you are talking about in Cancun though.

The public bus system however, is fantastic. The R-1 and R-2 bus will take you anywhere in the Hotel Zone and Downtown for 7.5 Pesos, about 60-65 cents.

calgary canada
Level Contributor
445 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pangas?

Sounds like water taxis . A friend told me she took one while she was staying in Vancouver. She couldn't believe how fast and efficient and cheap they were.

Mentioned in this post
British Columbia, Canada
3. Re: Pangas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2010, 07:23