We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how much booze?

St. Louis Mo
Level Contributor
128 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
how much booze?

According to customs how much booze can we bring in?

columbus ohio
Level Contributor
5,458 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how much booze?

Bring into Mexico, or back into the US?? Into the US you can LEGALLY bring in one liter.per person. Most customs agents don`t seem to mind if you bring in an extra liter or two, as long as you declare it on your customs forms

St. Louis Mo
Level Contributor
128 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how much booze?

Thanks but I want to bring booze into Mexico. (Not staying All Inclusive) Just thinking it would be nice to have some drinks in the room because our balcony will be the best view in town. Also we don't get into the bar/ nightlife scene and thought we could keep our bar tab down by bringing our own. Of course we'll drink when we go out to eat! And I can't pass up a few Dos Equis or Corona's, just basically drinks for the room. Thanks , Isla

East Moline, IL
Level Contributor
545 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: how much booze?

If it was me, I would buy liquor for the room when I got there instead of trying to travel with it. Were you planning on putting it in your checked bag? If so, what if it spills all over your luggage somehow? That would be a major bummer! It would be so much easier to just buy it in Cancun.

Louisville
Level Contributor
3,115 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how much booze?

We stay at the Royal Sands and purchase our liqour at their grocery. Tequila is about $2.00 more (large bottle) than you pay for it in the states.

You can also go to a Walmart or other stores to purchase.

I don't think its worth the trouble. Pretty much everything is reasonably priced.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
738 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how much booze?

It's been several years, but I remember bottles of vodka, rum, and esp. tequila being significantly cheaper in Cancun than in the US. Cancun is one of the few airports I know of that has a Duty Free shop you can hit upon arival, and there are plenty of places in the hotel zone - or Wal Mart - that have cheap booze.

I'm not sure about specialty liquor though - if that's what you're looking for.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,252 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how much booze?

In to Mexico, passengers over 18 years old can bring 3 liters of alcoholic beverages. There is a duty free shop in terminal 3 between immigration and baggage claim that might make life easier what with possible breakage, airline luggage weight restrictions, etc.

Chapel Hill, NC
Level Contributor
184 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how much booze?

Go downtown to Wal Mart or Chedraui to buy your liquor and beer. It is much cheaper than in the hotel zone. You can find very good prices on Rum and Tequila. If you're a bourbon drinker however, it is very expensive. I usually bring a 750ml bottle of Evan Williams because it's one of the few that comes in a plastic bottle. And I place that in a ziploc. Cheers!!

St. Louis Mo
Level Contributor
128 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how much booze?

You are all right. It will be easier to buy it there. I forgot about the airport customs store! Thanks for all the advice! 2 more days. Isla

9. Re: how much booze?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 May 2010, 05:19