We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"hotels might be running by christmas....

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
nyc
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Topic
"hotels might be running by christmas....

according to a CNN article, the cancun officials hope to get "most" of the hotels up and running by Christmas and they will start rebuilding the beaches in January!!!!

I'm scheduled to go there Jan 11, any suggestions on what I should do.

england
Level Contributor
49 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "hotels might be running by christmas....

I fly the 1st of Feb and to be honest I don't want to go with at the moment as I don't think the beached are safe.... I paid for a holiday that was safe for my daughter and thst isn't the case at the minute, there's no way she could paddle in the sea.

Lenexa, KS
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: "hotels might be running by christmas....

Start rebuilding the beaches in January??? What about all the people who are going before January and are not being allowed to re-book?

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "hotels might be running by christmas....

I was advised to wait until June. I too was taking my daughter and the TA said that there could still be unfound debris on the beach and in the shallow water ie/glass,metal until at least Easter or so. Just thought I would share since you were taking a child. Something to consider.

Colima, Mexico
Level Contributor
3,311 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "hotels might be running by christmas....

I have heard different reports about the beaches in Cancun, it seems like some beaches were wiped out and some other were not, we still do not have all information about the beaches at every hotel.

Our friends down in Cancun have been busy taken care of their own problems, If you are flying in Jan I would put on hold until you know exact info about your hotel and sorrounding areas.

Alex..

england
Level Contributor
49 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "hotels might be running by christmas....

Please could I ask what TA said June as I am with first Chice and getting nowhere...

New Jersey
Level Contributor
218 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "hotels might be running by christmas....

I would imagine that if you are going there in the next few months as I am, you are not going to get much beach. If your hotel is up and running, you'll get the pool and the facilities. The beach is eroded in most areas and mother nature is not giving it back anytime soon.

Being surprised that they aren't working on the beach by January is one of the most ignorant things I've read on this board so far. They need to get the hotels, electricity, food, water, etc up and running and then replace the sand. Geez...let's give these people a chance already January is 8+ weeks away!

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
2,610 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "hotels might be running by christmas....

I can't beleive that anyone would call someone that doesn't know something "ignorant". We are all here to help one another.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: "hotels might be running by christmas....

My agent was Liberty Travel. Although she would have booked us for as soon as February if we wanted she suggested waiting because we were taking our 8 year old and she was concerned about debris still in the sand and waters. I thought that was good advice and didn't even think of it myself. At least my money will still go to Cancun and not some other island in haste.

england
Level Contributor
49 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: "hotels might be running by christmas....

Thankyou, it appears TA are more concerned than others depending on country.

san diego, ca
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: "hotels might be running by christmas....

I am going to Cancun at the end of December, and am taking two children (they are older 9 and 14. The kids can wear "water socks" at the beach if necessary. I can understand concerns about glass and debris with smaller children, but you can put shoes on and still enjoy a the weather and a nice beach.

You're right hjoic - I feel it's important for tourism $$ to start flowing back into the area ...