We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

30 foot drop off at the Royal Sands?

Level Contributor
685 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
30 foot drop off at the Royal Sands?

Since I have read that there is a 30 foot drop off behind the Royal Sands down to the water, does anyone know if there is any actual beach (sand) area within walking distance of there? We will still take our trip in December, but would love to have a beach nearby. We have never been to Cancun and the beaches were the main attraction for us. Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

Erie, PA
Level Contributor
221 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 30 foot drop off at the Royal Sands?

I find it hard to believe that this drop off could be at the Sands. The ocean is almost at the level of the pool deck. However, I think this is possible at the tri-resorts.

Indy
Level Contributor
466 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 30 foot drop off at the Royal Sands?

The one thing I have not seen on any webs are pictures of the beach in Cancun. The locals say the sand is gone. I can believe there is

a big drop at some of them. I do hope somebody takes pictures of beaches in front of some of the major resorts.

Erie, PA
Level Contributor
221 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 30 foot drop off at the Royal Sands?

Yes, I have seen photos of some of the "former" beaches and they are in fact TOTALLY gone in the areas in the pics. All that is left are rocks. However, I cannot speak for the entire "7"

Level Contributor
7,972 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 30 foot drop off at the Royal Sands?

from what i have seen on the local news...the water from the sea comes right up to the foot of the hotels...no beach ...but hang on ....it may pull back to where it was...zzaa

Erie, PA
Level Contributor
221 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 30 foot drop off at the Royal Sands?

What do you mean by pull back? The storm has been gone for days now and the storm surge should've subsided by now. Don't you think?

Level Contributor
685 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 30 foot drop off at the Royal Sands?

I have heard mentioned that the Royal Sands doesn't have a sea wall like the others have. What exactly is that and what is its primary purpose?

Erie, PA
Level Contributor
221 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 30 foot drop off at the Royal Sands?

The sands does not have a sea wall per se. The first phase just has a series of steps to the sand and the 2nd phase does have somewhat of a seawall.

Calgary Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 30 foot drop off at the Royal Sands?

Hi

I am have been looking at pictures posted at

webshots. There are some pictures looking down the hotel strip in Cancun taken on Tuesday. I am not totally familiar with where the Royal Sands is but it appears that there is a sharp drop down below the sea wall at a number of hotels. The sea will bring some of the sand back in, but they will have to work to build it back up again.

ocean gate nj
8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 30 foot drop off at the Royal Sands?

I know it's much further down the 7, but take a look at the pics of the Royal Solaris. It appears that there's at least a 20 foot drop from the seawall to the rocks (that used to be a beach) below.www.casperselectronics.net/john/wilma

Erie, PA
Level Contributor
221 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 30 foot drop off at the Royal Sands?

WOW! That's amazing! I'm not familiar with this part but was there a large drop to the beach to begin with?