We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Don't believe everything you hear--OR READ!

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Don't believe everything you hear--OR READ!

After living through Wilma (and Gilbert 17 years ago)I am not surprised by the rumours, lies, halftruths and just wild guesses about what has, is and will happen in and to Cancun.

The President of Mexico is here for the second time in a week. They will inform him that there will be lights in the hotel zone tomorrow. (Whether it happens or whether it takes another day or two, it will be a miracle! But it will happen.)Tourism is the #3 money producer in Mexico (After oil and the USD that Mexicans in the U.S. send back home)and Cancun produces 30% of that tourism income for the Federal, State and local governments--not to mention the 200,000 direct jobs and over 1,000,000 indirect jobs the industry produces. Not to mention it provides a beautiful vacation experience for over 3,000,000 people every year--and I am just talking about Cancun--not Isla Mujeres, Cozumel, Playa del Carmen or the Riviera Maya! Belive me--it is a high priority for everyone.

If you could see what has been done in just 4 days you would seriously not believe it! I have seen groups of neighbours who previously didn't even know each other work together to cut down trees, prop up trees, cut branches and leaves, pick up trash and street signs and roofing and put the city back into decent shape. Then too the utility companies have done a phenomenal job of restoring services. The phone service never went out--lights are back on in 30% of Cancun (even if not at my house yet!)and water will again be being pumped to about 70% of the homes by tomorrow(sure hope mine is one of them!). Considering the enormity of the damage done, the job has been collosal.

Then at the hotels, bands of owners, managers and employees have taken a storm ravaged, filthy, desolate building and turned it into a clean place the way it was before. Is it all done??? NO!

Will it all be done by Thursday next? NO! But it will be done--and sooner than anyone thinks!! I guarantee it!!

To give you a S.W.A.G(Scientific wild as* guess)--as opposed to just a W.A.G.--I will stick my neck out and say that quite a few hotels, restaurants, marinas, parks, etc. will be up and running by Thanksgiving--some by Nov. 15. OK, so some won't--if there were structural damages or other serious damages but many will be. Watch your travel agents for specials!!

I will keep posting pics at my community.webshots.com/album/486119326FtuWKX and keep watching as you see some of the same places all new and cleaned up. So when people say "the airport is closing" or "it will be 6 months" or any number of those "sky-is-falling" phrases, tell them that Jimincancun said "Don't believe everything you hear--or read!!"

Of course I guess that means you shouldn't believe everything I say either I guess but at least consider your sources! See y'all soon. Don't count Cancun out just yet!!

Limbo
Level Contributor
2,826 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Don't believe everything you hear--OR READ!

A todo dar!

As I said before, and I'll say it again...we need Tshirts that say

Cancunenses contra Wilma:

100% Chingones

Limbo
Level Contributor
2,826 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Don't believe everything you hear--OR READ!

Jum: Is that lighting fixture store the one on Palenque in SM29? Right by my house. Nice to see that they left at least some of the TVs in Elektra.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
218 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Don't believe everything you hear--OR READ!

Jimincancun,

The phone service never went out? I have called repeatedly and there was not phone service.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
640 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Don't believe everything you hear--OR READ!

Jim,

I'm a believer! We changed to a hotel in the Riviera Maya and as long as we have a flight, we're going!

Michigan
Level Contributor
41 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Don't believe everything you hear--OR READ!

There are no phones at our resort and all the pay phones we tried in Cancun did not work. Guess you were lucky to have phone service.

Limbo
Level Contributor
2,826 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Don't believe everything you hear--OR READ!

In some places it never went out, and in others came back even before Wilma had completely left. There still isn't any cell phone service. Just got an email from someone saying that she just got power back.

canada
Level Contributor
447 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Don't believe everything you hear--OR READ!

Thanks Jimi! So, does that mean the airport is going to be open, or is it closed until the 20th of November? Maybe you would know the truth on this.

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
6,636 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Don't believe everything you hear--OR READ!

Luker,

Where are you staying? We don't know what to do. Who were you booked with?

canada
Level Contributor
447 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Don't believe everything you hear--OR READ!

My B/F is getting cell service, but only in parts of downtown and parts of the hotel zone. Must be only a few towers that are working yet.

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Don't believe everything you hear--OR READ!

Yes, Limbo--that is the light fixture store in SM 29--I live in 27 just across the street from there.

Phones: It depends what kind of phone/phone system the person/business you are calling has. I have 3 expensive phones in my house--wireless even...but they don't work without electricity--like the switchboard systems in hotels and businesses. I had to go out and get a $10 dollar one that just plugs in.