We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What do you consider an expensive vacation??

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
2,820 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
What do you consider an expensive vacation??

I have always wondered what do people consider to be an expensive vacation.

I am a 24 yr old married mother to 4 children so I have to be pretty budget minded.

When I take all 6 of us to cancun we will typically stay at a 4 star like gran caribe but now we have been booking dreams. I usually like to keep airfare and resort under 6000 for our family of 6 which is difficult.

When my husband and I go alone which is most of the time I feel affordable is 3500 or less for the two of us.

I usually book the royal cancun or Leblanc. One time I did a quick trip to the grand mayan and paid 1700 total for the two of us but its not all inclusive. Usually I go during high season.

So this all got me wondering, am I realistic, am I paying too much?? I just wanted to see what others consider and affordable and expensive vacation?

For a 3 star for hotel only I think paying more than 70 per person per night is expensive ( example is oasis)

For 4 star I think more than 120 per night per person is expensive (example is gran caribe or golden parnassus)

For 5 star I think 200 per night per person is expensive

(example is Leblanc or the royal)

I am just curious, any thoughts??

Florida
Level Contributor
6,581 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What do you consider an expensive vacation??

high season $120 a night for a hotel room is a bargain. a decent resort I would expect to pay around $200 a night at a minimum

and 24 years old and 4 kids? you been very busy how do you find time to vacation?

fargo
Level Contributor
211 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What do you consider an expensive vacation??

leaving march 17 from north dakota to cancun, crown paradise, 6 nights with wife and 2 kids for 3200 total, how did i do

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
4,577 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What do you consider an expensive vacation??

colduphere....I think you did your homework. That is an outstanding rate to me. Enjoy!

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
29,470 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What do you consider an expensive vacation??

I consider LeBlanc or equivalent in Cozumel far too expensive. But I am simple. Anything over $100 a night is too much for me.

If LeBlanc is what you want...that is why it is there.

Mentioned in this post
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
2,820 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What do you consider an expensive vacation??

Crown Paradise is the first resort I took my 4 kids too. I paid 2400 for flights and 2000 for the resort for 7 nights in January. I would say you did pretty good.

As far as finding time, I dont know I just do. I make it a priority. I am lucky enough to be self employed with a live in nanny so its not too hard to take a trip with or with out the kids.

Edited: 13 December 2009, 01:48
fargo
Level Contributor
211 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What do you consider an expensive vacation??

so how did you like cpc, tell me about it, the beach food kids club, thanks in advance

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What do you consider an expensive vacation??

I would say you are doing good for that price with all the kids. Just the 2 of us are going to the Royal Yucatan Suites at new years for 1 week and running us at 6500.00. Took our 4 adult kids to Maui for 2 weeks last Feb. and condo on the beach, flights meals, car rentals ran us about 12000.00.

We are in the Tuks and Caicos at this moment and i haven't tallied it up yet but it will be a dilly i am sure. Life is to short. Cheers :)

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
2,820 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What do you consider an expensive vacation??

Well I left CPC a horrible review, at the time I hated it. For a few reasons and they were not the resorts fault.

I had my stuck up grandmother with us and it was annoying

I had never travelled with my 4 kids ages 4,3,2 and 1. They and my husband were all sick from the food.

My husband was really on my nerves as well.

What I can say is the staff is pretty good, definately not the best I have encountered but ok. Food was fine at the a la cartes for dinner. Buffet at lunch and dinner was real different, I am not into raw seafood and unbattered calamari etc so it did not appeal to me, chow mein with tentacles in it was nasty. But if you do the a la cartes its great.

Lunch I enjoyed club sandwiches, steak sandwiches, and foof from the pool snack bar especially the wings and chips and salsa.

Breakfast buffet and room service were both fine as well.

I hated the baby club, it was dark and cold but worked for an hour or 2. Kids club was fine but activities could have been organized better and my son had to go alone so thats probably why he did not enjoy it, the staff could nit find him and I later figured out he was shy and hiding.I think the kids club we be great now that my 2 kids are old enough so they would have company. Beach was rocky and small but that is all about to change because of the restoration which is great. For the price you cannot go wrong, I think you will have a great time. If I could go back and rewrite my review it would be alot different.

It gets very noisy in the lobby at night so try to get a floor high up

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
2,820 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What do you consider an expensive vacation??

4th record, Turks and caicos is the next place I want to take the family. I was pricing out beaches for the low season and was getting 6500 for a room for us. With flights and resort I am thinking a good 11,000 forsure OUCH!! But it looks gorgeous so maybe I will do that next fall.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
121 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What do you consider an expensive vacation??

It's all about the deal for me! Last year we paid 1200 before tax for 2 weeks at CPC. (per adult) That was a great deal so when my husband said he wasn't paying more than 3000 for the 4 of us (last year we paid only 1 kid) I had to do my homework. But kids are a whole other topic-I will not pay an adult price for them. My goal is usually to pay around 1000 before tax per adult. Whether this is last minute or in advance. This year we paid 2900 INCLUDING all taxes for 2 adults 2 kids direct all inclusive to Gran Caribe through Westjet vacations.

***I'm talking in canadian money to an all inclusive resort including direct flights. I always book a complete package and have never done it separately. We never bother with air miles or anything because we feel it's cheaper as a package deal. If I was going to Hawaii for example I would use points.

I'm trying to book a trip for the in-laws to Mexico and the deals for a 2 week package are basically non-existent. Anybody else notice this?