We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My trip report Friday 28 Oct

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cancun
Level Contributor
534 posts
Save Topic
My trip report Friday 28 Oct

What I saw today was the beach in front of the Hilton to the Marriott’s. The Oasis Cancun was the first hotel I have seen where the ocean had taken away a bit of the hotel from underneath. The 3 Royal Resorts where in great shape. Hardly any broken windows, pools untouched. Really, the best hotels I have seen. 60 or so more pics at http://localhost/eplus/cancunphotos4.cfm

The Hilton management told me a team from the US was on the way to check the entire hotel. No one in Cancun is able to report on the hotel progress. All info will come from the corp. office in the US.

The Cancun Palace was hit really bad. http://localhost/eplus/cancunphotos4.cfm and the 2 Marriott’s did not seem too bad but I could not get close. What I saw today was all the hotels I went to now have guards that will not let you pass.

What I thought as I walked along the beach (yes there is still some beach left…not as much but enough for one guy) is that most hotels do not need to open soon. We are in the middle of the lowest season in Cancun. It was going to average about 50% of the rooms taken. However, 2000 rooms where not being used as a few hotels where closed for renos. So really, the 50% is even lower than that. So, here I am, a hotel that was not going to be very full anyway. I can now what for the insurance money. Fix up my hotel in a big way, open my doors whenever and have a completely renovated hotel. So what if it is Feb 06. I have a new hotel and lose really only a few weeks of high season. Now, not all the hotels will think like that BUT if my hotel is older you bet it would have crossed my mind the second Wilma hit here.

On the other hand I see all these small businesses trying to open ASAP and again I cannot figure out why. Lorito Joe’s, now the only lobster house in Cancun until Lorenzillo’s opens again and if they want the same feel or look to the restaurant it will be a bit, will open next week to sell lobsters to who? The workers fixing the hotels? Odds are no as that would equal several days pay. So, it will be very interesting business wise to see what goes on over the next 4 weeks.

The clean-up is everywhere in the hotel zone but now that the major roads are cleaned up downtown, things are not moving as fast here.

When will it be back to normal here? Well, to every normal is different. For me it will be when I get up, take my kids to school, have a big bowl of fruit, take a hot shower no matter what the temperature is outside, make my 100 calls a day, reply to 100’s of e-mails, turn on the a/c when I want, not having to wait in line to buy anything, watching the odd movie, playing with my kids, talking to Claudia, watching and betting on Sunday football, having a cold beer with friends. Well the only things on this list I do not have is running water for a shower and the school is not back yet. Both will return any day now so for me…normal is right around the corner.

The top ten things that have not changed due to Wilma…

10) The beach is still soft and white and feels great between the toes

9) Taxi drivers still honk at you thinking you might want a ride even if you are in the bathroom

8) People are selling stuff to tourists that I cannot imagine them having any need for

7) The 18 shades of blue and green in ocean are amazing

6) The hot salsa is still really hot and hotter yet the next day

5) All the hotels are in the same place as there where

4) The saying at a flea market, ‘check out my junk’

3) If you look like a tourist everyone will call you over (just less of that now)

2) I need to lose weight

And the number thing that has not changed…

1)

1)

1) The bus driver are all NUTS and drive like they are applying for a Mad Max part

BC, Canada
Level Contributor
212 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: My trip report Friday 28 Oct

great post. I will be in cancun on Dec 30th and the more i read your posts the happier i am. I am glad to see that there is still postitive people out there

BC, Canada
Level Contributor
212 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: My trip report Friday 28 Oct

by the way your links aren't working

Illinois
Level Contributor
4,447 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: My trip report Friday 28 Oct

Brant -- love the humor -- your positive spirit has been very refreshing in these difficult times. Keep up the good work, my friend!

PS -- What can you say about the condition of the Barcelo Tucancun??? If you've had the chance to walk by...

Level Contributor
685 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My trip report Friday 28 Oct

Brant-I am anxious to see what tours you will offer when we arrive 12/31. We are not going to cancel but are anxious to go to Cancun. This is our first trip there. We are staying at the Royal Sands which I heard has NO beach left. Any firsthand info on that? Also, doesn't your company provide transfers to/from the airport? We will need to arrange that sometime in the near future. Thanks!

Level Contributor
685 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My trip report Friday 28 Oct

Brant-I am anxious to see what tours you will offer when we arrive 12/31. We are not going to cancel but are anxious to go to Cancun. This is our first trip there. We are staying at the Royal Sands which I heard has NO beach left. Any firsthand info on that? Also, doesn't your company provide transfers to/from the airport? We will need to arrange that sometime in the near future. Thanks!

Cancun
Level Contributor
534 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: My trip report Friday 28 Oct

Opps...here is the link...sorry copied the wrong one...

www.entertainment-plus.net/CancunPhotos4.cfm

Cancun
Level Contributor
534 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: My trip report Friday 28 Oct

great post. I will be in cancun on Dec 30th and the more i read your posts the happier i am. I am glad to see that there is still postitive people out there

-Did you see my feet in the sand today! I even found a pair of sunglasses...it was a great day www.entertainment-plus.net/CancunPhotos4.cfm

by the way your links aren't working

sorry... www.entertainment-plus.net/CancunPhotos4.cfm

Brant -- love the humor -- your positive spirit has been very refreshing in these difficult times. Keep up the good work, my friend!

PS -- What can you say about the condition of the Barcelo Tucancun??? If you've had the chance to walk by...

-Thanks...well, no beach, got a few shots today and they are at the link above however...now this is a rumor....speaking with a friend who knows the top maintenance man for the Barcelo group and he has been ordered to do what it takes to open by Nov 15th. Weather that happens or not...cannot say.

-The beach at the Sands to my best guess is not there. There is no beach on either side of the sands. You could see about 100 yards of shore all the sand in the water today. I hope that sand makes it way back to the beach area. If you check my site around Dec 1st you will find 50% more tours than I offer today. before Wilma I was working on adding all kinds of stuff to offer. Now I'll need to wait and see what goes and what cannot go. Yes, I offer private transfers.

DETROIT
Level Contributor
2,369 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My trip report Friday 28 Oct

This is the Best Post hands down. I dare anyone to say otherwise...

Thanks for all Your Blood Sweat and Tears. You and those other Nut Cases that stood out on the Balcony taking Pictures, My Husband and I called You all some crazy stuff, but We couldn't help but keep looking at the Pictures and following Your posts. We have Emailed Your Post to all our Homies that Love Cancun. And they too are blown away buy The B*lls You all had standing out there.

Thanks again Theresa from Detroit.

PS I can't wait to come to Cancun, and spend My Money and ride the Bus.. Viva La Cancun...

ray michigan
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: My trip report Friday 28 Oct

Thankyou for the photos and info we are going Feb 1 for 2 weeks at Casa Turquesa next to sands how did it fair and thankyou for your help

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,834 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: My trip report Friday 28 Oct

Thanks, Brant, for the updates and for making me smile!