We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Golden Crowners

Pittsburgh
14 posts
Save Topic
Golden Crowners

We are scheduled for the Golden Crown Paradise on Dec. 10. As of right now the trip is a go, and we are set to party. I just wanted to get the view of other people headed to the Golden Crown around this time frame.

Have you canceled and rebooked?

Are concerned about sanitation and water issues?

I really don't know what the deal is with the restaurants and the beach, any thoughts??

Just wanted to start a discussion for the people going to the Golden Crown in this time frame. Maybe help relieve some of the tension. This will be our first time at the Golden Crown.

LPP
VICTORIA,B C
Level Contributor
706 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Golden Crowners

Joker, we are not scheduled to go until end of Feb but would really appreciate you posting something when you get back about the conditions & remaining staff at GCP. We loved it last year. Especially interested in what they plan to do with the beach. It was previously beautiful. Thanks

Morley, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Golden Crowners

Myself and my wife are due to go out there on 6th December. So far nothing has been said saying the hotel wont be ready. Hopefully we will be going, because we've been looking forward to this holiday for some time. Has anybody heard about how badly damaged the hotel actually is?

Morley, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Golden Crowners

Myself and my wife are due to go out there on 6th December. So far nothing has been said saying the hotel wont be ready. Hopefully we will be going, because we've been looking forward to this holiday for some time. Has anybody heard about how badly damaged the hotel actually is?

Pittsburgh
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Golden Crowners

LPP... I'll be sure to post a full report on GCPS when we return. We have no choice but to make the best of the situation.

Hopefully we'll be pleasantly surprised when we arrive.

Anyone else who has any thoughts relative to their upcoming trip to GCPS, drop a line here...

ohio
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Golden Crowners

Hi joker123. We ourselves went to GCPS in June of this year and became friendly with a waiter Oscar from one of the restaurants at the hotel. He just emailed me this morning and told me that he was not going to be going back to work at GCPS unitl mid Dec or later due to the damage of the hotel, he worked actually in the buffet style restaurant attached to the hotel, so I dont know if that helps or not. When you do go in DEC ask for him he is absoutely wonderful. Have a good time.

Pittsburgh
14 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Golden Crowners

Thanks for the info austenboy !! Very helpful...

Indiana
Level Contributor
508 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Golden Crowners

I will bump another thread about the GCPS for you. I believe the title is "big GCPS update"

It breaks my heart to think that there are so many wonderful people out of work at this time...

chicago
Level Contributor
466 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Golden Crowners

We were due Dec 2nd-11, now canceled and booked for Turks/Caicos Club Med.

Things aren't looking good for GCPS as far as I can tell, at least according to the recent posts. GCPS is in the windy spot of a stretch and it's an older open-lobby building very close to the water edge... figure it out.

There was a post a week ago, don't remember user name, but if you type "Golden Crown" in the SEARCH bar, you should find it. The gentleman said that 6th floor is missing a roof, and that Pier and Shangri La restaurants are completely destroyed. But what repelled me above all is that the sand on the beach is completely GONE, and in its currently replaced by 18 foot drop off over the rocks instead.

Yipee. I'm the biggest fan of GCPS myself - but right now I wouldn't go if someone paid ME, much less if we're paying 3K for it. We work hard all year and while on vacation, we want the best, hurricane or not. Lounging over rocks while listening to jackhammers just doesn't cut it. I donated some money to the Yucatan relief fund (thanks to Dangers for posting the site with the link) so I don't feel as bad canceling.

Yes, sanitation and weeks of standing water/lack of electricity are a concern. Not just for GCPS, but the entire city of course. If a few tourists get violently sick from food/water even on a good day in Mexico (I did once, when staying at Palace's ASP), what are the odds now??

Just because hotels will be accepting guests, it doesn't mean that ALL or even most things will be in order - although there is no doubt in my mind GCPS will do all humanly possible towards that end.

When the post-Wilma reviews of the GCPS come in, WITH photos that show close-ups of property and beach (with sand), THEN we'll be the first ones there, no doubt. I can't wait to go back, but not until I know I'm guaranteed the same great time we had before (or very close). I don't know how long it'll take, and at this point, no one does, so I'll just wait. Good luck to the post-Wilma pioneers, I sincerely wish that all goes well for you and you return safe and rested.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
187 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Golden Crowners

Four of us are scheduled for a Jan 14/06 arrival and are still sorting out whether to go. We haven't been officially told by our TA that the GCPS will be open or closed but it has been suggested that we should change destinations.

We're looking at Ixtapa and PV.....but at the end of the day would rather be in Cancun.

Our buggest concern is that although the hotel will be up and running, they may not have 100% of facilities open. Maybe only one restaurant, maybe only one bar. Not the end of the world but not the experience I'm looking for either.

I hope everything goes well in the next few weeks.

-Dave

louisburg kansas
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Golden Crowners

We are also staying at Golden Crown Paradise Dec 9-16. I have not heard anything from RCI at this point. Just keeping my fingers crossed. Also looking at Puerto Vallarta and Caymans. If you find out anything please let me know