We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which currency

southport
Level Contributor
583 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
which currency

Hi staying at the Moon Palace in june, we are getting married whilst there and there will be quite a few extras to pay for which currency is best to pay for these sterling/pesos/usd ?

Thanks Sheila&Chris

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which currency

Pay in the currency of the country (pesos) as anything else will work out more expensive.

Toronto
Level Contributor
992 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which currency

This topic has been debated to death here, but in my own experience of six trip to the area in the last five years, the golden rule is this: if you come from Europe, it is better to buy Mexican pesos; for Americans and Canadians, U.S. dollars are the way to go.

TX1
Southlake, Texas
Level Contributor
4,706 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which currency

pesos

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
1,199 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: which currency

pesos

Florida
Level Contributor
6,581 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: which currency

notop

what about Chinese tourists Yuan or peos or US$, or Japanese tourists, or those from Brazil or Argentina?

Bottom line exchange for pesos regardless where you are from

Edited: 09 January 2010, 21:14
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: which currency

I don't understand why tourists from countries other than the US would want to get american dollars to go to Mexico.

Just use the currency of the country you're visiting. Pesos.

Toronto
Level Contributor
992 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: which currency

Steve, I answered the question from the original poster, who is not from any of those countries you mentioned, but from the U.K., and I included the alternative for Canada and the U.S. because this is an English-speaking forum that many of us in these two countries read. Your point is absurd and it shows you just want to pick a fight. Well, here is my response.

I have never seen myself or heard anybody report of any Chinese, Brazilian, or Argentinian tourists in Cancun.

There are plenty of beautiful beaches in the Philippines, Indonesia, and several other southeast Asian countries that are much cheaper and closer for the Chinese to go to, just like there are plenty of gorgeous beaches in Brazil itself, besides the well-known Copacabana beach, which the locals do not even go to. Argentina is at the bottom of the hemisphere and they would have to pay huge amounts of money and fly for about 12 hours to go to Cancun, which would be stupid since to do that they would have to fly over Brazil anyway.

Why would people from these three countries bother spend thousands more and fly for so many hours to come to Cancun when they all have wonderful beaches nearby?

I will gladly agree with you that for people from most countries except the U.S., Canada, and a couple of other countries where the greenback is the official currency, pesos is probably the way to go.

However, it would be incredibly stupid for an American, or anyone from those few other countries where they have adopted the greenback as their money, to buy pesos when their own currency is widely and gladly accepted as gifts, tips, and payment at all hotels, restaurants, bars, nightclubs, stores, and by taxi drivers, tour operators, and even beach vendors, as well as practically every place or person that sell goods and services in the Cancun area.

Whatever amount of greenbacks you may have left at the end of your vacation you can bring back home and use the next day where you live without having lost any percentage in the exchange into pesos and back into dollars.

For Canadians the situation is very similar. With the longest border between two countries in the world and 90% of Canadians living in the southern 10% of the country, we frequently travel across the border for fun, work, tourism, and shopping purposes, which gives us a chance to put to good use whatever greenbacks we may have left after a trip to Cancun. Try doing that with leftover Mexican pesos.

Moreover, the smallest denomination of Mexican pesos that you can buy at any bank in Canada, and I suppose the same happens in the U.S., is 20 pesos. That is too big to tip in many situations where you just want to leave the equivalent of a U.S. dollar or two. It is even too big for the local bus, where they will give you change in those little peso coins that will make noise in your pockets and which you cannot use to pay for anything else in Cancun because everything costs many pesos and which you cannot use at all once you come back home.

We have been to Cancun and the Mayan Riviera six times in the last five years and have never needed Mexican pesos for anything except the local bus in Cancun, which we took instead of a taxi because we wanted to rough it up a little, even though we had the choice of taking a more comfortable air-conditioned dark-blue local bus for, guess what? One American dollar!

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
1,111 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: which currency

Well, after reading the above post - I am almost ashamed to say that I am Canadian! lol What a load of hogwash....It does NOT make any sense for a Canadian to exchange Canadian dollars for "greenbacks" when going to Mexico. The "greenback" is not our currency and is certainly NOT Mexico's currency - all you are doing is paying another "middleman". Oh, and by the way - did you know that right now, 20 pesos equals about $1.57US, which isn't going to make any Mexican rich, so I wouldn't worry about overtipping....

I agree with everything BVG Steve said as well.

Canuck

Florida
Level Contributor
6,581 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: which currency

notop

You must be joking, Cancun has quite a lot of Argentinean tourists and also quite a few live there either full or part time. So that point alone shows your lack of knowledge on Cancun tourism. And you mention Canada and the OP did not even mention Canadian $, so to your point about them not mentioning China or Japan, touché!

Ontario
Level Contributor
50 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: which currency

This is one question that I had asked earlier. My husband and I have been debating whether or not to use Mexican or American currency. I think it is split 50/50 with responses. It makes perfect sense to use pesos since we would have to purchase American currency at the exchange rate and probably loose more money with exchanging in Mexico. We are Canadians and have been wondering if we should get pesos directly here in Canada and if most banks carry Mexican currency? The biggest thing is that we are very leary on using our bank card in Mexico to get pesos and in the situation of our bank card not working we would be screwed if we didn't have money on us. We were contemplating using our daughter's bank account because it wouldn't be linked to our finances.