We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wait times at Airport - Since Christmas

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Louisville
Level Contributor
3,115 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Wait times at Airport - Since Christmas

How many hours before your departure time do you need to arrive at the Cancun Airport. We usually allow 2 hrs and have no problems. However, with the increased security since Christmas I have heard over 3 hrs.

Someone posted they were there 4 hrs early and missed their flight. Has this improved ?

If you have returned from Cancun since New Years let me know what you experienced. Your departure time, time you arrived and the wait you encountered.

Also, what are you experiencing leaving for Cancun. We will be departing from Nashville (BNA Airport) ?

Florida
Level Contributor
6,581 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Wait times at Airport - Since Christmas

Follow your airlines recommendations, most suggest 3 hours prior, call and see if it is still 3 hours or have they changed it to 4 hours.

Not sure why you would ask here vs listening to the airlines recommendations?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,222 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wait times at Airport - Since Christmas

um because ever since 9/11 airlines have been saying 2 hours for domestic flights and 3 for international flights when that's so not necessary... And, Im flying out of the busiest airports in the country.

Of course, if transiting through Miami, Atlanta or the dreaded Houston from an intl destination, I will always leave 3 hours.

Im getting there 3 hours early for my Mexico City flight next week, just because of this recent scare but if its not warranted, I will go back to my normal 2 hours.

Fort McMurray...
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wait times at Airport - Since Christmas

We left Cancun early January which is per your question.

Our package included transfers from hotel to airport included so took that. Bus had us to airport about 2.5 hours before scheduled flight departure to Canada.

Nothing unusual since the recent incidents in wait times or security measures.

Per previous poster, airline rules/guidelness obviously prevail!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
772 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wait times at Airport - Since Christmas

Evening

I agree with you. I would like to know actual times not recommended.

What if your airline suggests 3 hours and it actually takes 4? Do you think they are going to put you on the next flight for free? Lets hear some real times including dates and time of flight.

Fort McMurray...
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wait times at Airport - Since Christmas

Jan 10 evening. We got through the charter filght line up and directly to security and through in less than one hour.

Nothing out of normal relative to any other time we had been to Cancun.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
772 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wait times at Airport - Since Christmas

Also can anyone elaborate on the type of security?

Scanners? or search of luggage by hand or both?

cstoutMn
Level Contributor
444 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wait times at Airport - Since Christmas

Hello,

We just got back Monday. There was no problem leaving..No long lines. However that can be subjective. On the way in we had HUGE lines at the Cancun airport over an hour to get thru customs. So like others have said get there early go to Bubba Gumps and have a few beers and some food!

Louisville
Level Contributor
3,115 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wait times at Airport - Since Christmas

Appreciate the response on ACTUAL time it takes. The airlines will have you arriving 5 hours before. And as mentioned, they aren't going to do anything if you arrive early and still don't make your flight. I used to get there 3 hrs before departure and was checked in and sitting outside our gate for over 2 hours. So we have been allowing 2 hrs which was fine. Still took about an hour, but noticed when we got through the line it was a longer line then when we arrived, so I don't plan on pushing the limit more than 2 hrs unless it is actually taking longer.

Glad to hear that they are processing people as fast as they have in the past.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Wait times at Airport - Since Christmas

Anyone with real times out there? How thorough is security? Is it organized?

fargo, nd
Level Contributor
22 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wait times at Airport - Since Christmas

departed 1/9/10, arrived at the Delta ticket line at 12:10pm, left with tickets at 1:50, through security by 2:10pm. boarding took awhile with 3 people taking passengers aside to check/go through by hand, carry on luggage. the boarding process was actually longer than the security line.